October 2017 Challenge Entry Thread- Minimalism

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Salted Swirl

Trying out a new (full depth) swirl technique on salt bars, 12% colour by weight.

Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Avocado Oil, Sea Salt 50%, Coconut Water 50%, Activated Charcoal, Sugar

Please excuse my terrible phone photography.

Salted Iron Swirl.jpg

Salted Iron Swirl 2.jpg

Ok, now the entry thread is closed. Once the survey is finished, the link will be posted. Everyone who signed up is eligible to vote, whether or not you submitted a soap. Good luck to all the entries!

October Challenge Winners!

1st Place
jewels621

2nd place
saltedfig

3rd place
A TIE!
HowieRoll AND CaraBou!

I am so sorry everybody, I apologize for all the issues I've had this month.

This soap was made over the course of 2 days, with the first day being to pour the layers (gray, white, gray) and put the straws into place, and the second day was to remove the straws and make a small batch of soap to fill in the holes (white, yellow). After about 3 days I removed it from the mold, cut the bars, and then planed them. The planing would have been so much easier with an actual planer, and I learned quickly after doing a test bar that a cheese slicer is not a suitable replacement. :think:

Below are photos of the first day after pouring (with the straws) and then the finished soap. It is scented with a mix of peppermint, lemongrass, and cedarwood EO, and the colors are activated charcoal, titanium dioxide, and yellow iron oxide.

Thank you, lionprincess00, for hosting such a fun challenge!
Love it for Daaaays!

Salted Swirl

Trying out a new (full depth) swirl technique on salt bars, 12% colour by weight.

Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Avocado Oil, Sea Salt 50%, Coconut Water 50%, Activated Charcoal, Sugar

Please excuse my terrible phone photography.

Such a lovely minimalist soap. It hs the look of granite. May I ask the percentage of salt you used in this soap per pound of oils? I would purchase this soap because of the granite look and also the hint of swirled hearts!

I love the Moon over Miami soap also and the photography of that soap is outstanding!

The Carabou soap earthiness is stunning in its simplicity of technique but outstanding color and placement. Great soap too!

Looking forward to January challenge and joining you all! Happy New Year!

Thank-you for your lovely comments :-D

The salt is local sea salt, at 50% of oil weight, so half a pound of salt for every pound of oil.

Such a lovely minimalist soap. It hs the look of granite. May I ask the percentage of salt you used in this soap per pound of oils? I would purchase this soap because of the granite look and also the hint of swirled hearts!

Back