Soap on a rope

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapAddict415

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'd like to try making soap on a rope. I searched the forum but I can only find posts from 2015. Has anyone used anything for a rope that I could find at my local Joann's fabrics? The posts I found talked about using hemp and I think polypropylene rope for boating? I'm not sure where I could buy either of those locally. Also, I wanted to use a silicone car mold. Would it be wise to put a hole in the bumper & thread the cord thru so that it will be embedded in the soap? I'm hoping the knot will stop the soap from leaking out. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Polyproylene rope you should be able to find at your local hardware store, or maybe farm supply store if you've got one of those near you. They may also have hemp rope available, though it's liable to be the coarse, scratchy variety.

I have thought about making soap on a rope, but using a short nylon strap instead. And maybe including the buckle on the stap as a gimmick. I would call it "Tactical Soap On A Rope".

"Whether you are jumping out of a helicopter or climbing down a sheer cliff, you can't afford to lose your soap! If you drop it, it's gone forever! Be sure you will have your soap when your mission is complete. Outfit yourself with Tactical Soap On A Rope!"

Added: The target market would be as a gag gift for people who have "tactical" everything.

Oh wow. What a fantastic idea! Do it, please, I’d love to see!

I have thought about making soap on a rope, but using a short nylon strap instead. And maybe including the buckle on the stap as a gimmick. I would call it "Tactical Soap On A Rope".

"Whether you are jumping out of a helicopter or climbing down a sheer cliff, you can't afford to lose your soap! If you drop it, it's gone forever! Be sure you will have your soap when your mission is complete. Outfit yourself with Tactical Soap On A Rope!"

Added: The target market would be as a gag gift for people who have "tactical" everything.
Lol, I love it!!! I'd make it a camo soap.

Sent from my Z828 using Soap Making mobile app

I guess I'm not a good one to reply because I gave up on soap on a rope. I tried as many ways as I could think of but the amount of time I put into it was ridiculous. I bought white nylon rope from walmart in the hardware section. I bought the white caps for pvc (abs?) pipes. It made nice round 3" soaps. But I was afraid if I drilled a hole in the cured soap at the top, when it was used the soap would dissolve around the rope before the rest of the bar and leave you without the rope. So my DH drilled a hole vertically the whole way through the bar. I then threaded the doubled rope through that and tied a knot. The loop was at the top and the knot at the bottom. You can see why I gave up. What a job! I saw that you can buy something either from WSP or NDA for making soap on a rope but I was too cheap. I can't picture my customers wanting it enough to pay the price.

I'm still working on the perfect soap on a rope for the elderly men in my life (which includes my dear old dad and my dh's granddad).

I want a very soft, long rope to hang around the neck so they never have to bend to pick up dropped soap. To date, the ropes I've bought have been too scratchy for 80+ year old skin. It's also been difficult to get a long enough loop around the neck and hang at a comfortable (mid-elbow) length, because as Gini's video shows, it's hard to deal with longer lengths. So, I'm thinking two ropes might be needed.

My idea is to start with just a single strand of rope embedded in the very center depth of the soap; that way there's less surface area for the soap to dissolve away from the rope than if there were two. This single rope could be fairly short and not much in the way while the soap is saponifying. After the soap has hardened, this end would be connected to another rope that is long, looped, and soft. A good sailor would know what type of knot would work, but I'll have to do some research!

My idea is to start with just a single strand of rope embedded in the very center depth of the soap; that way there's less surface area for the soap to dissolve away from the rope than if there were two. This single rope could be fairly short and not much in the way while the soap is saponifying. After the soap has hardened, this end would be connected to another rope that is long, looped, and soft. A good sailor would know what type of knot would work, but I'll have to do some research!

You know, if you find waterproof lanyards (which can't be that hard to find), you could then just connect the soap to the lanyard. The lanyard would be reusable, and just discard the little soap loops once the soap has been used.

I'm still working on the perfect soap on a rope for the elderly men in my life (which includes my dear old dad and my dh's granddad).

I want a very soft, long rope to hang around the neck so they never have to bend to pick up dropped soap. To date, the ropes I've bought have been too scratchy for 80+ year old skin. It's also been difficult to get a long enough loop around the neck and hang at a comfortable (mid-elbow) length, because as Gini's video shows, it's hard to deal with longer lengths. So, I'm thinking two ropes might be needed.

I didn't like the looks of the short loops in the video. I was thinking to do the short loops, Then tie a longer loop in that loop but not sure how having a knot would look either. Perhaps around the neck is the best, but maybe also your dear old gentlemen could put it on a wrist.

^^I was thinking two loops too, as it would be easier to secure together than a single strand and a loop. And the short loop would be more self-supporting than a single strand would be (i.e., less likely to fall onto the soap while it's saponifying).

When I made SOAR previously, I used one long loop and devised a way to hold the ropes off of the soap in the mold. But it was a PITA and needs a design overhaul if I was to use that concept again.

You know, if you find waterproof lanyards (which can't be that hard to find), you could then just connect the soap to the lanyard. The lanyard would be reusable, and just discard the little soap loops once the soap has been used.
Awesome idea!

Good idea if you're making them for family, then they would be reusable but if you sell....

Back