Creams/ lotions Calculator????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vidasworld12

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Im brand new to this whole lotion/cream etc making.
Im interested and have been reading up on swift crafty monkey - wow ALOT of info .. wow ..

ok so very stupid question , but im lost - where is the calculator you use to figure out the amounts ? not trying to sound dumb, but all this reading ive done and I havent come across any info regarding this.. I know theres one, because im sure people are using it .. but I haven't found anywhere that it tells me where to find it??? is the whole sale supplies one the one??I heard it being mentioned on a youtube tutorial . I really appreciate all comments/ advise

thank you all in advance.

To my knowledge there is no free lotions / creams calculator. I think I've heard about some paid ones, but I can't recall where.

I use the guidelines from BB for percentages and build a spreadsheet.

I believe most of SCM's recipes use percentages, no? Should be easy to convert them to grams. You could do a 1:1 conversion for ease's sake if you don't care too much about batch size. For example, if the recipe is 60% ingredient A and 40% ingredient B, then just use 60g ingredient A and 40g ingredient B.

THAT makes so much sense !

my concern is the preservatives and F/O

I dont want to mess that calculation up ..

I'm not sure which calculator the YouTube video you watched had referenced, but if you are looking for an HLB calculator (which folks that create their own emulsification systems for their lotions instead of using self-emulsifying systems such as e-wax or BTMS use), I found this one online at Making Skin Care (they offer a free downloadable PDF): http://www.makingskincare.com/hlb-calculator/

Also, here is a link to bunch of links on SwiftCraftyMonkey's blog that explain the HLB system: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/p/hlb-system.html

You might find this helpful, too (they give ratios for different lotion ingredients):
https://www.cheatography.com/emmajane/cheat-sheets/ingredient-ratios-for-lotion-making/#comments

Or if are you looking for something more simple, I found this:
http://www.sbwave.com/lotion/

Also, here are a few threads that I found that might be helpful:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=52878

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=36447

IrishLass :)

I used this as my starting point:

If you’re feeling adventurous and want to experiment with other oils and butters, you can design your own recipe. To create your own recipe follow these guidelines:
70-80% Distilled Water
3-5% Stearic Acid
3-6% Emulsifing Wax
add the rest in your choice of oils and buttersTo this add
.5 – 1% Preservative
.5% Fragrance

For my personal use, I like to have the weights in grams, then I have a little converter built in to tell me the final total in ounces so I can know the number containers I need. I also measure my preservative and my scent by volume (yes, I'm so naughty) so I put in a note of how many grams (of water) = how many teaspoons. Mine also has a reminder to let the mixture cool to 140 before adding the Phenonip (my preservative) b/c it is deactivated at a higher temp.

I'm not sure which calculator the YouTube video you watched had referenced, but if you are looking for an HLB calculator (which folks that create their own emulsification systems for their lotions instead of using self-emulsifying systems such as e-wax or BTMS use), I found this one online at Making Skin Care (they offer a free downloadable PDF): http://www.makingskincare.com/hlb-calculator/

Also, here is a link to bunch of links on SwiftCraftyMonkey's blog that explain the HLB system: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/p/hlb-system.html

You might find this helpful, too (they give ratios for different lotion ingredients):
https://www.cheatography.com/emmajane/cheat-sheets/ingredient-ratios-for-lotion-making/#comments

Or if are you looking for something more simple, I found this:
http://www.sbwave.com/lotion/

Also, here are a few threads that I found that might be helpful:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=52878

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=36447

IrishLass :)

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!

Thank you so much! im lost with swift crafty --- theres so much, I keep jumping around from one post to another because I cant find them in order..
so much infooooo

thx again

I used this as my starting point:

If you’re feeling adventurous and want to experiment with other oils and butters, you can design your own recipe. To create your own recipe follow these guidelines:
70-80% Distilled Water
3-5% Stearic Acid
3-6% Emulsifing Wax
add the rest in your choice of oils and buttersTo this add
.5 – 1% Preservative
.5% Fragrance

For my personal use, I like to have the weights in grams, then I have a little converter built in to tell me the final total in ounces so I can know the number containers I need. I also measure my preservative and my scent by volume (yes, I'm so naughty) so I put in a note of how many grams (of water) = how many teaspoons. Mine also has a reminder to let the mixture cool to 140 before adding the Phenonip (my preservative) b/c it is deactivated at a higher temp.

this is great thxxxx so much ..
This is not like making CP soap lol thats easy stuff

I feel your pain. I was in your shoes 9 months ago. My baby had eczema and nothing was working which was what set me on this B&B quest.

Advise from a newbie like you, don't try to make your own emulsification system yet. It is daunting if you haven't even made a batch of lotion yet. Try to make a batch of lotion at 100g. I can knock up a recipe for you if you want using the oils and butter you have. Use e-wax or polawax(I strongly recommend this). Usage rate of e-wax is at 25%of your oil phase plus 1 while polawax is 25% of your total oil phase.

(If you are using 20g oil phase, 25% of 20g is 5g. 5+1 =6g)
If using Polawax, You will use 5g polawax. I have been making lotions and body butter for almost 10months now using Polawax and I have never had a lotion fail (knocking on wood). The one time I had an epic lotion fail was the one time I bought cheap Polawax from a suspect website. Buy from reputable suppliers please. I buy mine from Brambleberry.

It does get better I promise. Fast forward 10months, I make all our products now. Soaps, creams, body butter, conditioner, shampoos, scrubs, toners. Everything and all I learnt from Swiftcraftymonkey

First decide what percentage of ingredients you like , everything must be summed up to 100% then ie 70% Of water times 5 and you got 350 water for 500 g batch . when you have percentage it is the easiest way to calculate. Let's say you need the 500 g , sum all you calculation it must be 500 g, remember if you add any silicone you count is (it goes to cool down phase) for emulsifier amount. Very easy
For years I used this way calculating on piece of paper When you have too much take out from water, then if not enough add to water, and also add at least 10% of water phase for evaporation, not whole batch just add all water ingredients

Here is WSP's batch calculator and their percentage calculator. They will both work for lotion if you know the percentage of ingredients you want to use
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/calculators/Batch_Size_Calculator.aspx
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/calculators/Percentage_Calculator.aspx

I usually use a spreadsheet a kind person on another forum sent me, but sometimes use the above calculators

yes, thats the one.... thxxx
I saw this on a youtube tutorial but wasnt 100% sure

thxxx

I feel your pain. I was in your shoes 9 months ago. My baby had eczema and nothing was working which was what set me on this B&B quest.

Advise from a newbie like you, don't try to make your own emulsification system yet. It is daunting if you haven't even made a batch of lotion yet. Try to make a batch of lotion at 100g. I can knock up a recipe for you if you want using the oils and butter you have. Use e-wax or polawax(I strongly recommend this). Usage rate of e-wax is at 25%of your oil phase plus 1 while polawax is 25% of your total oil phase.

(If you are using 20g oil phase, 25% of 20g is 5g. 5+1 =6g)
If using Polawax, You will use 5g polawax. I have been making lotions and body butter for almost 10months now using Polawax and I have never had a lotion fail (knocking on wood). The one time I had an epic lotion fail was the one time I bought cheap Polawax from a suspect website. Buy from reputable suppliers please. I buy mine from Brambleberry.

It does get better I promise. Fast forward 10months, I make all our products now. Soaps, creams, body butter, conditioner, shampoos, scrubs, toners. Everything and all I learnt from Swiftcraftymonkey

It's so over whelming on her website , soooo much info and you have to go through it all to get to the first posts she made... alot I mean alot

yes I can get Polawax from New Directions - they are down the street from me :) Im just dying to eventually make face creams cause I pay a FORTUNE for mine at sephora and we all know they arent the most natural - Im not getting any younger , I can use some really good stuff ;)

Yes pls help me make up a recipe - ive filled up half of my note book already with research notes --- theres still sooo much I just need to do it already

thx for your great advise, thx for taking the time

What do you want in a calculator?

I was thinking ( hoping ) it was like the soap calc
you put in the ingredients and voila - all the calculations just pop up

I see this is diff now - not hard , cause everyone is explaining it now

First decide what percentage of ingredients you like , everything must be summed up to 100% then ie 70% Of water times 5 and you got 350 water for 500 g batch . when you have percentage it is the easiest way to calculate. Let's say you need the 500 g , sum all you calculation it must be 500 g, remember if you add any silicone you count is (it goes to cool down phase) for emulsifier amount. Very easy
For years I used this way calculating on piece of paper When you have too much take out from water, then if not enough add to water, and also add at least 10% of water phase for evaporation, not whole batch just add all water ingredients

thank you! sometimes its easier when the whole forum explains it lol
I see it now, honestly before I wasnt getting it

thank you all so much !

I have made my own spreadsheet for lotions and creams that is based on the limited number of ingredients I choose to use. I wouldn't dream of putting it out on the internet -- there are just too many variables to deal with. Different emulsifiers require different usage rates, some work only for lower pH or no cationic ingredients, some are temperamental to use, some need a specific method of mechanical mixing. And there is no universal correlation between the % of emulsifier to thickener -- that is fixed by the person's preferences and the overall performance of the finished product. Preservatives are used at different rates depending on the likelihood of microbial growth, some can't be added to the heated phase, some are inactivated by pH or the presence of certain ingredients. And I haven't even touched on the myriad additives that can be included in a lotion -- how could one keep track of all their usage rates and chemical interactions? Nor the endless variations on how people choose to make their lotions.

If you think about it, the soap calculators have a much easier job. We usually make soap from one or two alkalis (KOH and/or NaOH), fats, and water. Once the list of fats is compiled and the saponification and fatty acid calculations are set up, the calculations are straightforward. But a soaper can easily step outside this basic box and when that happens, the soap calcs are not much help. A person can use a different alkali for saponification such as ammonium hydroxide or sodium carbonate. Or an unusual method of making the soap, such as the "boiled" method. Or she can include additives that interact with the saponification reaction (borax, acids, sodium carbonate, etc.) In that case, the soap calcs are not much help -- you are back to doing the calculations on your own.

I have made my own spreadsheet for lotions and creams that is based on the limited number of ingredients I choose to use. I wouldn't dream of putting it out on the internet -- there are just too many variables to deal with. Different emulsifiers require different usage rates, some work only for lower pH or no cationic ingredients, some are temperamental to use, some need a specific method of mechanical mixing. And there is no universal correlation between the % of emulsifier to thickener -- that is fixed by the person's preferences and the overall performance of the finished product. Preservatives are used at different rates depending on the likelihood of microbial growth, some can't be added to the heated phase, some are inactivated by pH or the presence of certain ingredients. And I haven't even touched on the myriad additives that can be included in a lotion -- how could one keep track of all their usage rates and chemical interactions? Nor the endless variations on how people choose to make their lotions.

If you think about it, the soap calculators have a much easier job. We usually make soap from one or two alkalis (KOH and/or NaOH), fats, and water. Once the list of fats is compiled and the saponification and fatty acid calculations are set up, the calculations are straightforward. But a soaper can easily step outside this basic box and when that happens, the soap calcs are not much help. A person can use a different alkali for saponification such as ammonium hydroxide or sodium carbonate. Or an unusual method of making the soap, such as the "boiled" method. Or she can include additives that interact with the saponification reaction (borax, acids, sodium carbonate, etc.) In that case, the soap calcs are not much help -- you are back to doing the calculations on your own.

yes I know , theres just so much to it.. not as easy as you would think
I honestly just started researching it cause I wanted a more natural/ less expensive face cream...

yikes ... I might just step back and keep making soap

It's so over whelming on her website , soooo much info and you have to go through it all to get to the first posts she made... alot I mean alot

yes I can get Polawax from New Directions - they are down the street from me :) Im just dying to eventually make face creams cause I pay a FORTUNE for mine at sephora and we all know they arent the most natural - Im not getting any younger , I can use some really good stuff ;)

Yes pls help me make up a recipe - ive filled up half of my note book already with research notes --- theres still sooo much I just need to do it already

thx for your great advise, thx for taking the time

Here goes the recipe: For face cream, I like it light, dry feeling and as much softening I can get.

For 100g.
Water Phase. Water Phase
74.45% Water 74.45g Water
2% glycerin. 2g glycerin

Oil Phase. Oil Phase
5% Mango butter. 5g Mango butter( Dry feeling but softening. Love it.
5% Rice Bran oil. 5g Rice bran oil(phytosterol and Ferulic acid
5% Pomegranate oil. 5g Pomegranate oil (For the Pucinic acid
2% Cetyl Alcohol 2g Cetyl Alcohol( Prefer the glide of Cetyl to Stearic
4.25% Polawax. 4.25g Polawax
2g Fragrance oil/Essential oil
2% Fragrance/Essential oil (Please check usage rate for your essential oil) Not too much fragrance though since its face cream.
0.3% Liquid Germal Plus. 0.3g Liquid Germal Plus(Preservative)

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any question. I will be glad to help

Last edited:
WOW Thank you so much! I didn't expect this ... you are amazing
thank you so very much- i know the rules when it comes to giving up recipes so this is greatly appreciated ..

Have a great day !!!! im on my way to order the pomegranate oil.. im so excited to finally get this going

It's a pleasure. Glad I could help. Let me know if you have any questions. By the way, Niacinamide will be lovely in this if you can get it. Add 2%(2g) remove 2g from water. Also Liquid Germal plus is heat sensitive so add it when temp is not more than 45degree Celsius.

Step1a. Weigh out the water phase ingredient in a beaker
Step1b. Weigh out the oil phase. (Oils, butter, Cetyl)
Step 2. Put both beaker in a double boiler. Once the temp of both the water and oil phase reaches 70 degree Celsius time it for 20mins (I leave it for 25mins) just to be extra sure the 'nasties be dead'
Step 3. Combine both together. Hit with your stick blender not more than 20-30 secs for 100g and stir.( just to be sure the water and oil are combined. Then walk away. Seriously no more stick blending until later.
I try to make sure the temp difference is not more than 5 degrees when combining both oil phase and water phase
Step 4. When it's at 45 degree Celsius put it back on the scale, tarred the scale and add your preservative and fragrance. Pulse the mixture with your stick blender for 5secs.
Step 5. Yeah! You just made your first lotion. Now you get bragging rights. :)

Back