So Aggravated with Me

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes bulk is the way to go.
2kg at the hardware shop is the same price as 5kg at the chemical supply place and their 25kg bag is about double the price their 5kg bucket! I have to decant the bag into screw top bottles and buckets at home (DH doesn't trust me so he does it outside for me) but it certainly is worth it.

I have called around to a few places and can't find any local bulk supply stores that have lye.

Probably time to start buying online...

I have called around to a few places and can't find any local bulk supply stores that have lye.

Probably time to start buying online...

Cleaning supply stores also sell it, in Australia.
You might have to ring and ask as it's often not labeled in a way that is recognisable.

Last edited:
I am not sure if lye is sold in cleaning supply stores here, as I mentioned I found a Chemical Supplier. In CA lye is pretty controlled due to cooking meth. I had to give them a copy of my business license and they record the make and license of my car. That is why I am not sure all areas would have it available in at cleaning supply stores. I would also venture to say it would not be the $.48 per lb I pay.4

After breaking down and paying the ridiculous price for lye I did not get the soap made yesterday but did manage to get 40 lbs of lotion made. That was an accomplishment! Then hauled in another 100 lbs or so of supplies at my parents so I can get something made.

They are not so particular here in Australia, yet. I should have specified that!
The chemical supply place I get my NaOH from supplies is in 5kg or 25kg lots but only supplies KOH in 25kg lots.

I'd never get through that much KOH. So I get KOH from a cleaning supply place who sells it in 1kg, 2kg and 5kg lots. They also sell these smaller sizes of NaOH.

I have called around to a few places and can't find any local bulk supply stores that have lye. ... Probably time to start buying online...
Be sure to ask/search for 100% Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) (or Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) if you're making liquid soap), and not "lye". Someone recently said they had the same problem and when they switched to asking/searching for "sodium hyroxide" it showed up.

BTW, I don't buy in bulk because I'm a hobbyist and don't sell much other than to one wholesale account. I like my NaOH & KOH to be as fresh as possible so I only order what I need, when I need it.

There are several places on line to buy lye and even a few suppliers like Brambleberry, WSP, Camden Gray have it available . My favorite source is the Lye Guy in NY. Here's a link:

http://www.thelyeguy.com/store.php?crn=211

Back