Greasy Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find some people like handmade soap (because just about any recipe is better than commercial soap whic is pretty drying I think) but when the try a really nice mild non drying soap they really understand the difference a good recipe can make it you have dry (older?) skin.

My son likes 10% CO and I have a farmer friend who likes 30% CO with palm as he likes squeaky clean skin. Both with very low SF <5%.

So I agree for some people, lenarenee, but you wouldn't SF at 20% would you?

I'm not getting where she would have used a 20% superfat outside of an all CO soap. 20% CO in a recipe is stand enough for most skin. I can tolerate that as long as OO is kept at or below 30%. OO is a very drying oil for me.

Hmm, I'm not sure what the question is. I'll try again: I give soap to a range of ages teen to 70s, living in a range of climates. Most are middle aged people over 40. The feedback I've gotten with a lard recipe with 20% co, 3 to 5% sf, is that that they're happy with the skin feel and soap performance (rinsing and bubblage).

Now, I often make 15% co soap loaves as well when I know I'll personally be using some of it myself. I live in an area that's usually low in humidity, work in childcare, and sometimes take 2 showers a day so I prefer a recipe that doesn't mess with my skin's natural mantle.

I've specifically asked the same people which they recipe they prefer, and no one noticed a difference.

This is why I posted that I thought her 20% co recipes would be appropriate for many people.

But I thought that coconut oil lovers go for 25% SF even to make sure it is bubbly and also moisturising instead of drying?

Often a 100% coconut oil soap is superfatted at 20% and that idea is that the high coconut oil (myristic and lauric fatty acids) strips the skins natural oils, and the unsaponified superfatted co replaces it.

I just returned from a couple of trips to Julian CA, where I love to spend time talking with the owner of the Julian Soap Company. Naturally she won't reveal her specific recipe to me, but I know she's a ton of co and pko in her recipe, with a very high sf (possibly 30%). She doesn't cure her bars - they're on the shelves 2 days after they're made. They're hard....as if they had been cured, but they melt like crazy when you use them!

My skin feels awful after a shower with her soap - cured or not cured. My skin feels raw, with a coating of oil on top.

Just make a batch with water, no honey or sugar, and just your 20% superfat. No insulation, either. Then see how that works. Be sure to come let us know.

Hi Susie, I made the simple batch of coconut oil only soap with 20% superfat. Nothing else in it except lye and water. It is now curing. I didnt insulate it and it looks like a fine, simple bar of soap. But I prefer playing with other ingredients of course:)

With reference to the above responses to my initial question, the soap in question is 100% coconut oil with a 20% superfat and about half water to coconut milk that resulted in the greasy soap that is very slowly absorbing the grease. Might take more than a month to cure properly. maybe the extra grease is slowly being absorbed by the oatmeal?

I thought the 20% SF with coconut oil was only with Salt bars. But I could be wrong.
Not just for salt bars. If you want a plain old 100% CO bar, you need that 20-25% SF or it really will be too drying. As stated, some people can't handle it even with the high SF. My husband's favorite bar is 100% CO with 20% SF. Now, with a salt bar you NEED that high CO in order to get bubbles. But if you don't care about bubbles you don't need a high SF in a salt bar, either. I made one with low coconut and just a normal SF. It is very hard, has a few low bubbles, but feels nice on the skin.

Not just for salt bars. If you want a plain old 100% CO bar, you need that 20-25% SF. I made one with low coconut and just a normal SF. It is very hard, has a few low bubbles, but feels nice on the skin.

Yes, there is a soap for everyone! My salt soap doesn't have much CO - I don't worry about bubbles much. :)

I just returned from a couple of trips to Julian CA, where I love to spend time talking with the owner of the Julian Soap Company. Naturally she won't reveal her specific recipe to me, but I know she's a ton of co and pko in her recipe, with a very high sf (possibly 30%). She doesn't cure her bars - they're on the shelves 2 days after they're made. They're hard....as if they had been cured, but they melt like crazy when you use them!

My skin feels awful after a shower with her soap - cured or not cured. My skin feels raw, with a coating of oil on top.

Ewwwwww. How does she stay in business selling soap like that? She can't have much in the way of repeat customers. :confused:

Ewwwwww. How does she stay in business selling soap like that? She can't have much in the way of repeat customers. :confused:

She does have quite a following and has maintained a brick and mortar shop for years. Some of the reviews on yelp/FB describe her soap as moisturizing. I can't comfortably use her soap, but apparently many do. She also sells melt and pour, candles, beautiful pot pourri, room sprays, salts, etc. Everything is heavily scented - you can smell the shop from yards away.

I've spent hours in conversation with her, and have a great deal of respect for her and her business. I just can't use her soap.

ETA: I bought a few bars of her soap last week and have them sitting on my curing rack, and gave some to some young adults to get their feedback. I guess I'm just a soap geek. I'm fascinated with all bar soap, handmade, weird recipes, unique recipes, even some commercial soap.

Not just for salt bars. If you want a plain old 100% CO bar, you need that 20-25% SF or it really will be too drying. As stated, some people can't handle it even with the high SF. My husband's favorite bar is 100% CO with 20% SF. Now, with a salt bar you NEED that high CO in order to get bubbles. But if you don't care about bubbles you don't need a high SF in a salt bar, either. I made one with low coconut and just a normal SF. It is very hard, has a few low bubbles, but feels nice on the skin.

Yes, there is a soap for everyone! My salt soap doesn't have much CO - I don't worry about bubbles much. :)

I forgot that I had wanted to try a salt bar with a regular recipe. I need to get cracking. My b-day a month away.

People are people. I can't use COPA soaps these days. I thought they were nice smelling but drying soaps when I was younger. Still feel that way.

What are the benefits of salt soap please? And how much salt to put in a salt bar?

Hi Susie, I made the simple batch of coconut oil only soap with 20% superfat. Nothing else in it except lye and water. It is now curing. I didnt insulate it and it looks like a fine, simple bar of soap. But I prefer playing with other ingredients of course:)

With reference to the above responses to my initial question, the soap in question is 100% coconut oil with a 20% superfat and about half water to coconut milk that resulted in the greasy soap that is very slowly absorbing the grease. Might take more than a month to cure properly. maybe the extra grease is slowly being absorbed by the oatmeal?

Not the oatmeal. But sometimes (rarely in my limited experience with 100% CO soap), the soap will reabsorb the extra oils. Let it sit and cure for a full 6-8 weeks before trying to do anything with those bars, and judge then.

I am not a fan of 100% CO soap for my skin. Way too drying. So my experience is really limited with them. However, I have had overheated soap that reabsorbed the extra oils completely by about week 7. I was living in a very humid environment at the time, though, so I am not sure how much the humidity played a role.

You are going to have to experiment with which additives you can safely add to that soap. Just add one thing back at the time, and do not insulate. You may even want to consider putting it in the freezer for the first 24 hours.

My soap just cut today, I can feel a bit greasy, might be the full coconut milk I used ( homemade). ImageUploadedBySoap Making1503341446.559891.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1503341459.072785.jpg

Back