SMF June Challenge - Mosaic Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, my entry is posted! I had a back-up plan, two in fact in case I didn't like how this one turned out. It may not be as exotic as a koi pond, which is a really beautiful mosaic soap, but I am pleased enough to let this one be the entry. The others I will do another day. As one of them I think would make a really nice looking soap.

In preparation for my entry I made several soaps this month to be included in the mosaic pieces. And because they were going to be part of my challenge entry I never posted details about them or pictures either. So now I am going to toddle on over to the Photos section and post some pictures of some soaps I did earlier this month of which I am particularly proud.

Absolutely loved your story and loved your soap. I have wonderful memories of my father also earlene. Sometimes I do something particularly out of my element that almost stops me on my tracks, it's like he's there showing me how. Again, loved reading about your very special soap for your dad. Now I'm going over to see the others.

Too busy with so many things. I never had a chance to make an entry.

There's still some time! I'm kinda unhappy with how mine turned out and am debating m&p for something nicer looking. That pesky time thing keeps getting in the way though (and motivation, past two day were 80+ and we're not used to that sort of heat)

Thank you, LisaAnne & Guspuppy.

I still want to make some of the other ideas I had as my back-up. But I'm satisfied with the one I entered. What surprised me about it was that using the boot box (my husband's work boots came in that box) I ended up creating a 8 pounds of soap. That's the biggest batch of soap I've ever made at one time. My husband said I should save out a couple of bars each for each of my brothers, which is a really cool idea.

Earlene, your soap is gorgeous, just wonderful! Even more special now that I know the back story. I hope everyone who gets some it appreciates the heart and love that went into it. I know I sure would. What a lovely tribute!

Thank you, mzimm & MySoapyHeart.

MSH, your forest soap is gorgeous! I love your story about it, too. The first house I remember clearly was in the redwood forest in Northern California. We lived in a little shack outside of Eureka, California for 3 years when I was quite young. My Mom & Dad, my first brother, and then two more brothers were born while we still lived there. My brother & I would get up every morning and go outside to play in a burned-out redwood tree. That was our 'fort'. We also had a pond where frogs and pollywogs swam. There were owls living in our forest and whenever I hear one, it reminds me of that time in my childhood. The nearest store was about a mile down the road and it is still there with it's wooden floors and it still smells the same. By brother lives up that way & we go by our old childhood stomping grounds sometimes, although the shack was torn down and a regular house built in its place. We moved from there when I was in first grade & brother was in kindergarten because my Dad got a job at a 'big city' newspaper. He was journalist, you see.

One's affinity to the forest remains with us for our lifetime, I believe. It's good to get to know you a little better from you story. Thank you.

Lovely soap Earlene, loved your story too. <3

Soapheart! Lovely soap!
It was very touching to read your story. I don't have the words to express how I felt reading it. What I do know is I will never forget your name and when I see it I will see you as a person not just an anonymous person who makes soap. We oddballs are going to outnumber the "normal" people soon :)

Soapheart! Lovely soap!
It was very touching to read your story. I don't have the words to express how I felt reading it. What I do know is I will never forget your name and when I see it I will see you as a person not just an anonymous person who makes soap. We oddballs are going to outnumber the "normal" people soon :)

Nah, "normal" is just a setting on your dryer. We're all oddballs in one way or another. It's no wonder I feel comfortable here. ;)

Mzimm, your Soap Dish Mosaic is gorgeous! Did you add M&P over the top of your tiles to give it that shiny glazed ceramic look? Brilliant. Well, I had thought of that myself as a glaze, but for my project it would not have been true to the inspiration as my Dad did not glaze the patio. :) Your entry is lovely.

It reminds me of a tiny little glass tiles design I picked out for my bathroom, that my husband rejected. (He thought it was too 'busy' and would require too much caulk.)

Last edited:
Thanks earlene!
Here's what I was trying to mimic:

View attachment 21592

I poured the tile slab using squeeze bottles---that was fun! Never used so many colors at once. Slicing them into little bits was a major pain!
View attachment 21593

I had intended to push them down level into the "mortar" base, but I used an accelerating FO and the base was too hard to do more than just seat them a little. Hence the decision to immerse the top in clear MP.
image.jpeg

SunWolf, pretty goldfish! Nice border and what a nice shade of blue for the base. What did you use to get that spot shade of orange?

I am glad to hear your goaties are feeling better.

Thank you for your kind words. The orange is from gel-caps of Beta Carotene vitamins. :)

Mzimm, that is beautiful, looks like the bottom of a fancy swimming pool!!

ETA: Yours is beautiful...didn't mean the "inspiration" piece...:oops:

Last edited:
Back