80% Lard Soaps..OK, I Get it Now.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH that soap is so pretty! And the fade to gold will also be pretty if those plants are anything to go by. Heh be a cute marketing theme "watch as the seasons roll by in this all natural soap that is linked to the rhythms that drive all life..."

That's my go to lard recipe too DeeAnna - discovered I loved it when I wanted to soap on a budget whilst still learning

This thread inspired me to make an 80% lard soap a few weeks back. I pulled out one of the small round bars for my shower the other night to test, and I GET IT NOW! It was completely lovely and creamy and felt wonderful on my skin. Of course, as soon as I tried it, I had to go print out a bunch of soapcalc recipes with small additions (yesterday I tried a little castor and cocoa butter and took the CO down to 15%, today or Friday I will make some with 75% lard/20% CO/5% castor). Thank you so much for the inspiration! I already loved lard, but hadn't tried such high percentages.

Okay, I'm going to have to try this. I was just leafing through my notes and found a long forgotten gem- I saw that on April 13 of 2007- back in my newbie, furiously crazy, experimenting days when I was making batch after batch of various formulas (all different, mind you, so I can see how it got forgotten)- I actually made a batch of lard soap with these ingredients:

-70% lard
-10.5% coconut oil
-10.5 % castor oil
-8% olive
-1% cocoa butter (Don't ask me why, because I don't know. It just is what it is :cool:)
-And some ground-up salt soap flakes from 2 bars that were made from 100% CO and 100% sea salt with a 10% s/f.

The overall batch had a superfat of 5%.

My notes say that I tested it out 4 months later at the sink (unfortunately, I have no in-the-shower comments). Here's what my at-the-sink notes say:

"Used at sink. Wow, I did not expect much lather, but it had great lather that felt really nice like I was washing with water-softener water. Smooth and lotiony, but nice & bubbly. I was surprised! Very nice."

I'm sure the salt soap flakes contributed something to that lather, but I don't know how much since I never made a version without salt soap flakes.... or any other batch using that particular lard formula for that matter.

Well, no matter. In any case, I think I'll go ahead and give this a try:

70% lard
15% coconut oil
10% castor
5% olive
.5% edta per total weight of batch

(without any salt soap flakes)

IrishLass :)

omg what happens when you see these threads about new exciting recipes that you're dying to try and you can't soap until the weekend?!?! gahhhhh *flails* IT'S ONLY WEDNESDAY

It does make a difference. I happened to grab an older version of the soap I was just using (I am short, and my soap is stored above my head), and the older version had sugar in it. There was a distinct difference in the amount of bubbles. Not the quality of lather, but just the amount of it.

I appreciate the advice about the micas. I just received some samples from Nurture Soaps and I'm dying to try a column swirl this weekend. Now...if I can only get my husband to make me that mold asap :)
Just my two cents: I was having problems getting my micas dissolved in oil, a member here recommended vegetable glycerin which I tried and was SO much easier and better blended I use nothing else now.

Last edited:
Yep- what DeeAnna said. My water is pretty hard, so I add the tetrasodium EDTA to help reduce scum, and it also has the added benefit of increasing my bubblage some, as well as preventing DOS.

Also- I use the tetrasodium EDTA instead if citrate or citric acid because I always have EDTA on hand for my lotions (I use it along with Phenonip in my preservative system).

IrishLass :)

Well, I was going to do this:

70% lard
15% coconut oil
10% castor
5% olive
.5% edta per total weight of batch

But instead I made this:

65% Lard
15% coconut oil
10% castor oil
5% olive oil