Wrapped or Unwrapped?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am having a similar but opposite dilemma. My usual packaging is a cellophane bag folded over, with a large square label holding the folded edge. People who buy from me (family and friends) seem to like it, but I am wanting to change to a cigar band for a craft fair this summer. I was looking at photos of packaging and just love displays with unwrapped cigar band soaps, like the ones in this photo. I was planning to have 1 nude soap in front of each grouping, for people to maul and snort ;) but I don't know if that would be enough to protect the other soap. I can't decide if I should put the cellophane bag over top of the cigar band.

Batty, I started using the naked end cuts of my loaves as "sniffers" out in front of each of the different soaps I bring to a craft fair. That way they can also get an idea of what the soaps look like, since mine are entirely wrapped. It absolutely cuts down on the people shoving the wrapped bars up their noses! LOL

I make CP and I shrinkwrap using polyolefin which allows the soap to breath and allows my customers to see the soap. They can smell it through the wrap as well. My customers like it a lot and at Christmas I throw it into an organza bag which remains clean even with handling because of the wrap. You can also buy biolefin (sp?) that is biodegrgable as well as breathable. I find that my soaps do continue to cure in the wrap and that I have to re-shrink again which does not bother me at all.

Lindy, were do you purchase the polyolefin, if you don't mind me asking?

my preference is wrapped for hygiene reasons. i also like to keep the scent as much as possible. after 3-4 weeks, i start wrapping my soaps with cling wrap, then i'll do whatever wrapping outside of that (depending on the shape/size of the soap). i usually do cigar band or origami paper wrapping (envelope style. this way, customer can still take a peek and smell of what's inside but the soap is still protected).

i have bought unwrapped soaps before (many times), and honestly, there is something appealing seeing piles of unwrapped soaps (i do love touching and smelling each and every one of them). although when i think about the number of hands touching those soaps that interesting thought instantly gone.

you never know where those hands have traveled :D

I also prefer wrapped, but agree the cellophane does go against the natural "feel" of cp soap. I like the idea of really wide cigar bands, so only a little bit shows, or maybe wrapping the bars in a bit of tulle so you can still see and smell the bars. I'm planning on the tulle approach when I start selling at markets, I have issues with the noseplanters! :)

I buy shrink bags from papermart and they are thin enough that the soap still breathes. Usually they will end up with a small hole or two when I shrink them. The bags are around $6.00 for 500 for the 4x6 size. You do need an impluse sealer to seal the bags before shrinking. If we happen to have a hot humid summer I will punch a hole or 2 in the bags with a small scrapbooking hole punch. Periodically when I am at my market a go across the table with the heat gun to tighten up the packaging.

I use shrink wrap that has holes in it

Ive had one wrapped for a month you can still smell perfectly.
I dont wrap until im ready for them to be gone.

I like wrapping in case of moisture.

I shrink wrap my soap. I do craft shows and I feel my customers appreciate buying soap that people are not putting their hands all over. I know that I would not like to buy a bar of soap not knowing how many people had their hands on it. Just make sure you use the correct gauge of shrink wrap so that your soap does not sweat. SoapEquipment.com suggest 60 to 75 gauge for cold process soap. Here is more info: http://soapequipment.com/shrinkwrap/#Shrink_Wrap_Supplies,_Replacement_Parts_and_Accessories.
I leave one soap unwrapped so that customers can touch and smell.

I buy soap boxes that have little celephane windows on them. If you want to know where I get them, let me know. I'll be happy to share the website with you and anyone else.

this thread was really helpful! i'm now going into cp soaps and trying to decide on the best way to wrap them, didn't occur to me that cigar bands will go loose as the soap keeps drying up, thanks!

previously i used shrink wrap for food for my mp soaps, they can get tricky to wrap sometimes but you'll get the hang, they are also quite fragile though with one layer. I tried 2 layers to make it more sturdy but then you can't really smell the soap nor see it as clearly.

I don't do craft shows or sell, but I like to package my soaps as nicely (and economically) as I can because I do a lot of gifting locally and also by mail for my out-of-town friends/relatives.

I used to use French Fry bags and colorful ribbons back when I first started out, but now I use 9" x 12" sheets of white, grease-resistant, paper sandwich wrap (think glassine-type paper).

I can buy a 1,000-count package of them for about $8.00 at my local Smart & Final. One sheet cut in half will wrap 2 of my bars perfectly, so I'm really getting double for my money.

And with my handy, decorative scrapbooking punch for a pretty scent/ventilation-hole, some double-sided tape, Microsoft Publisher, and 8 x 11 full label sheets, I'm good to go.

My label designs are usually more colorful and imaginative than what you see below, but I quickly threw something generic together just to give you the basic idea of my labeling/wrapping technique:

IMG_0189WhiteMusk2010ACropped.JPG

IrishLass :)

Last edited:
Right now I'm using "Banana Fiber" paper, its 90% recycled paper and 10% banana fiber. I punch a hole out for a window and wrap it in jute or hemp twine. I find it decently protective and the looks have been liked. But it is fairly time consuming and I'm getting tired of doing it. I don't know for sure what i'll try next. There are some corn based bio-degradable plastics I've looked into. I might do that combined with cigar band. I might also just do cigar band, I don't know for sure, it's hard to decide. A box would be nice and easy.

Does anyone know of an eco friendly box + bio-degradable plastic window combo?

Here is what I'm doing now:

Untitled-2 copy.jpg

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

untitled 6.jpg

Honestly? I'm so cheap that I take used (but clean) paper grocery bags, cut them down to 8-1/2 x 11 and print 5 cigar bands per sheet. Because the creases wreak havoc on the printing process, I use my mom's press (for ironing) and in 20 minutes, I can press over 100 sheets.

The bags are free and are the ultimate in post-consumer recycling.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1409274288.784728.jpg

Honestly? I'm so cheap that I take used (but clean) paper grocery bags, cut them down to 8-1/2 x 11 and print 5 cigar bands per sheet. Because the creases wreak havoc on the printing process, I use my mom's press (for ironing) and in 20 minutes, I can press over 100 sheets.

The bags are free and are the ultimate in post-consumer recycling.

View attachment 9347

That is a lot of effort to save some money, you are awesome! I love the idea, a much better way to recycle than throwing it in a recycle bin and buying paper for your soap wrapping.

That is SUCH a good idea! But I can imagine a bit time-consuming...

Thank you! So many packaging ideas were tried before this was settled on. If our volume of sales don't pick up dramatically, we will stick with this. I really love the look. Another thought was to stick with this for retail stores, and do something faster for online orders and bulk wholesale (if that ever happens). It's funny how hard of a decision packaging has been in this entire process. I thought it would be the least of my worries.

Last edited:
Thank you Lindy, the prices weren't that bad for the shrink wrap, it's the equipment that I might not be able to afford, lol.
Would a foodsaver work to seal the wrap before shrinking? I already have one of those.
http://www.foodsaver.com/on/demandw...81f3e4ef0d20&gclid=CJeNmtSc3r4CFSgQ7Aod7VUAhw
I would not suggest using your food saver to seal. Foodsavers are temp controlled for their own bags. You can get an impulse sealer on ebay for less than $25. There is one right now for 19.99 and free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Ximpulse+se&_nkw=impulse+heat+sealer&_sacat=0

Back