has anyone used canolive oil? -new pic added

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use some canola in every batch 6oz for 4.5 lbs, never had a problem.
I also ck the dates on the containers when I buy it & I NEVER heat it.
I was given info early on that perhaps over heating it can contribute to DOS.
Soap Queen from Bramble Berry has a simple 3 oil recipe that has 1 third canola & I made a few batches of this 9 plus months ago & the leftover bars are just fine.
It seems that there are a few different ideas about what causes DOS, I wish we knew for sure!
I know its the Canola but its it maybe Old canola?, overheated canola?, Canola that was not handled or stored properly at the store? Canola that we looked at wrong? :shock:

"canola that we looked at wrong".... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I have a newfound respect for canolive oil now. Will see how long it lasts, and will be making more and more, real soon.

Made some with canolive back in Dec. Should look at containers BEFORE I buy. I gave some to my mom. Hers started to get dos. mine were good through may. Ther were nice soaps with nice moisturizing properties.

Mike

Well, June 29th now, and the soap still shows no signs of DOS. Good thing, cuz I have 21 small bars left. was saving to give them as gifts. Will do that soon...need to wrap 'em.

RedCloverSoap.JPG

and this much Canolive oil to use up!

Canolive%20Oils.JPG

I'm going to be very busy making soap for the next while! So many oils and scents to use up, so little help...... :cry:

A couple stores around here carry a different brand of canolive oil. I've steered clear of it because of not knowing what the percentages of each are. I use upwards of 30-40% canola oil in my soaps, heat to 150 (usually takes awhile and then poof, it's higher than what I want) and cool down to 120 to mix into the lye and have not had orange spots. The canola oil is over a year old also....buy in 2.5 gal jugs and I don't find that it smells bad...but it is stored in a coolish room. It makes for a nice inexpensive soap.

Oh my, I haven't been back here in quite awhile, and didn't see this question. Sorry!

I round my bars with either a potato peeler (all edges, then corners last) or the 'soap trimmer' gadget thingy I bought from one of my suppliers.....gee, can't remember who. Here's a pic of it:

Soap%20bar%20trimmer.JPG

Hey Woodi, you mentioned in an older post that the canolive oil had a preservative already in it. What kind of preservative is it?

ebbydawn: Don't ALL oils have preservatives in them? (unless they confirm that they are organic).

I'll check for specifics and get back to you.

Do you question all your oil suppliers as to what they have to preserve them for a long shelf life in the warehouse or stores?

Ollies had olive/canola blend for $1.99 ... I bought it thinking it was Olive Oil then got home and READ the label ... LOL ... I used it in lotion and really liked the feel of it. Now I'll have to try it in soap ... Yours look great Woodi

I thought I would resurrect this thread with some info on the canolive from Saporito. I just bought 2 litres and called the company, who told me it was 85% canola, 15% olive oil. At $4.77 for 2L I couldn't pass it up. I have used canola at various percentages with and without ROE. One experiment involved using stearic acid as a hardener and sodium lactate. The soap with stearic acid added has DOS while the SL soap does not. Both were made end of July at the same time.

I used canola in my 1st batch and it developed DOS. I have not soaped with it again. Besides I understand that it is grown using heavy duty pesticides.

I would imagine that most of the soft oils are heavy with pesticide use if not organic. Fortunately I don't eat any of them (or my soaps ;) ). I have soaps that I bought a while ago containing canola oil that have not gone rancid so I really think it's hit and miss, how old the oil is to begin with, and what you combine it with. Just my thoughts.

I think storage is really important. I always use canola or soy when I make all veg soaps. The only time I have seen DOS is when I left some bars in the basement. They were from all different batches - so different scents, slightly different recipes, etc. Lots of DOS there. Bars from the same batches in the attic - no DOS.

There is a recipe on Miller Soap for Canolive and it makes a fantastic soap. I received one in a swap and I used the soap periodically then would put it away. I used the soap off and on for 11 months, hanging out in my bowl of soaps. It never devoloped dos and was good to the last wash with it. I love Canola in soap and it adds an extra fatty acid to the soap. I make the Canolive 111 and love the soap, with a couple of tweaks

I haven't used this blend, but I have used canola early in my soaping discoveries at a low percentage (10%) as a "filler" until I started buying my supplies online.

Latest posts

Back