Botched batches.....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of my earliest failures:

lyepockets.jpg

My first real batch. Huge pockets of unprocessed lye. Eeeeeek! I just didn't blend it enough, I didn't move the stick blender around the bucket well enough.

soap1.jpg

Black raspberry vanilla that was oozing oil /blech

My first attempt at a coffee soap. I was using a new log mold and underestimated how big to make the batch, so they turned out pretty squat. Smell good though. Ugly colors.
! :-D I have some color failures too. I wish now that I had taken pictures. My first flop was making purple for my lavender soap. I ended up having brown... yuck. :thumbdown:

the worst way to have to unmold soap....

I'm excited to share with you today, my most recent failure :clap:
I had this dumb idea of using a silicone mat with a design on it so my round soaps would be embossed on the edges. BAD IDEA! Even with oiling the mold first and the matt, it stuck and WOULD NOT BUDGE!!! I pounded from the bottom with a can and it came up an inch or two but that was it. I tried freezing it.. didnt help. I tried warming it up in the oven... didnt help. I tried dropping it on the floor (ok i was frustrated) no avail. Anyway i ended up having to spoon it out and scrape it out with my hands! The soap didnt zap so it was fine but still. This was my facial soap with special oils and now look at it lmao! I only got a peek of the design when after digging both ends, the soap finally pushed out... yup you guessed it, the liner still stuck inside. Look at the nice mess I now have in my soap studio!

I do have a fun idea though that I am going to try to pull off today utilizing the black soap globs. Stay tuned :roll:

P3010037.jpg

P3010038.jpg

P3010042.jpg

P3010044.jpg

P3010045.jpg

P3010046.jpg

Oh my, R&R that is quite a mess! I look forward to seeing what you do with this :) *looks at his pvc pipes with some concern*

I have to admit PVC pipes can be a pain. I know now though never to put a silicone liner in there. I wonder now if I had still lined it further by puting in a piece of wax freezer paper between the pipe and the liner if that would have made a difference. Im too scared to try again! oh ya, I almost forgot to mention that i put the same liner in my 100% olive castile soap pvc mold the same night. I dont even want to face that again today. I'll save it for another day :-?

Well, it sounded like a fabulous idea...at least in theory ;) That idea will work in a slab mold! At least the soap is usable...can't wait to see what you do with it!
And when all else fails...rebatch, baby!

lol, ya i think I will keep that idea for the log molds that I have. I thought about rebatching... I've had this idea for a while using black globs like this as embeds. I'll post pics when I am done. Im repering them now... :grin:

I wanna play!

There was a lot of shea in this batch. I unmolded and cut too soon. I should have let it harden up for a few more days. I used it anyway, and it was a great soap. Wish I could find those notes!

soapgremlins-1.jpg

I wanna play!

There was a lot of shea in this batch. I unmolded and cut too soon. I should have let it harden up for a few more days. I used it anyway, and it was a great soap. Wish I could find those notes!

soapgremlins-1.jpg
oh these soaps are beautiful! I love the purple pink and white! I use shea a lot too and it does make unmolding a long wait. Thanks for sharing what unmolding and cutting to soon can look like! :shock:

Latest posts

Back