Ripples = unwanted

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoresoap

Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1500074599.088397.jpg

Lately I keep getting ripples in my soaps. This is a special order and no matter what I do, it still ripples. I do spray with alcohol lightly to blast bubbles but that didn't matter in the past.

This is a triple butter base with mica and FO added.

Thanks fellow soapers!

Carolyn Z
Shore Soap
NC

Can you maybe slightly overfill the molds so it domes up just a tiny bit over the lip, then when it's hardened shave it even with the top of the mold with a wire? That should give you a nice, smooth bottom. It doesn't address why the ripples are happening, but is maybe a short term fix til you do figure it out?

Fan ripples? Pouring too cool? Haven't made M&P but those thoughts popped in my head. No self restraint.

If after you pour you move the mold at all, even it it is a tiny bit, and even if you have spray it with alcohol, it will ripple. You have to not touch it for at least 2 to 4 hours, not even bump ....

Plus, are you using 91% alcohol concentration?

Didn't move the mold - this happened minutes after spraying or not spraying. I looked and the fan was not on. Alcohol is 99% - too much? I thought that was the best.

I'll sure try using 91% on the next batch! What's 99% good for if not this?

Thanks again!

Carolyn - Shore Soap

I don't think the alcohol would be the cause, but maybe there is something I don't know about that. Is it a different or new kind of soap base? I hope you get it worked out soon.

Curious as to what brand of base you're using. We've poured quite a bit of M&P soaps, and I've never seen this happen.

If you're adding essential or fragrance oils you might want to see if they've gone bad on you. I suppose it could cause something like that... but just a guess on my part.

Also, with that shape of soap you could use a soap beveler to flatten it out.

This will happen regularly with my own m&p recipe because it has such a low heat melt point. Overheating can cause ripples.

You make a good point. And I don't recall anyone mentioning what the pour temperature was. Hopefully the OP will let us know.

Didn't move the mold - this happened minutes after spraying or not spraying. I looked and the fan was not on. Alcohol is 99% - too much? I thought that was the best.

I'll sure try using 91% on the next batch! What's 99% good for if not this?

Thanks again!

Carolyn - Shore Soap

Anything above 90 is ok. I just would not use lower. The one at the dollar store is 50%, so it contains 50% water. And IMO it might not cause the ripples, but water being heavier than alcohol, and not evaporating as fast, might not be good with the base is still hot.

Not a chemist, I have no scientific base for my comment..... so maybe you just bump it?

I saw in an episode of soap queen that she blew on top of the soap to see if it would cause ripples and if it was ready for another layer, or something like that. So I guess even a draft can cause ripples....:(. Did you have a fan going?

I saw in an episode of soap queen that she blew on top of the soap to see if it would cause ripples and if it was ready for another layer, or something like that. So I guess even a draft can cause ripples....:(. Did you have a fan going?

If m & p is so sensitive could the "fan" effect of the alcohol spray be causing it? No! The OP says it happens even if she doesn't spray.

Did you by chance move the silicone mold without anything supporting it underneath? - i.e., cookie sheet.

Is there a way to glue a melt and pour. Made a tea pot and the handle broke?

melt a tiny bit of soap, pour on baking paper or freezing paper. Deep your handles on it and quickly attach to pot. Hold for a minute. It should work :)

Back