Formulating sun screen cream/after sun lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desirae

Reaction score
Hi all, it's been awhile since I've been here, but I'm back with a question. I'm trying to create using different websites a sunscreen that is creamy enough to be squeezed out of a tube, but every one that i try it ends up being rock hard, ive even resuced the amount of beeswax but still end up with the same result. So my question is is there a specific formula for making sunscreen as well as an after sun sun care lotion? If so what are the percentages for eacb ingredient?

For both the sunscreen and after sun care I want it to have aloe Vera oil since its great at protecting your skin. Also I've read that using macadamia nut oil acts like your own natural skins producing sebum, if I spelled that right. And I'm also using non nano zinc oxide.

What are the best ingredients to use when making sunscreen cream and after sun care lotion which can also be used as a sun burn lotion.

Or do you have a formula you willing to share with me? Thank you in advance

What have you been using? A lotion with beeswax? That sounds odd to me. Give us your thoughts so far and we can go from there.

I'm not using any lotion, I'm making it from scratch using beeswax, zinc oxide, apricot kernel oil, aloe Vera oil, refined shea butter, and coconut oil

I meant, what sources (recipes) have you been using, even giving the amounts of the ingredients that you list would be helpful. You want help, you have to give people information that they could do something with - if the aloe and the AP oil are only 10% of the total, or if they are 90% of the total - that makes a massive difference to feedback and ideas.

As it stands, those ingredients do not make a lotion in any sense that I would use. A balm, maybe - but unless you look at water, emulsifier, and preservative, getting something fluid enough for a squeeze tube won't be easy.

you should not make sunscreen at home, it requires to much science, You think people who are famous cosmetic formulators would not make one for themselves ?

I agree with Dahila that it's better to get some proven sunscreen, but hopefully you would only be using this on yourself and not on any children?

I've never made sunscreen myself, but with regards to lotion making - Beeswax is just too hard and has too high of a melt temp for a liquid lotion. If you want something that squeezes out of a tube, then you need to go with all liquid oils. Some are purported to have sun protective effects - like blackberry seed oil and raspberry seed oil.

Whether you use oils with supposedly sunscreen properties you will still burn in the sun. Sunscreen needs to be made by companies that have or work with a lab and have had all formulas tested. I spent most of my life playing on /in the ocean and in the desert and before sun screen came out I had some nasty burns. Do Not mess with sunscreen. Oil is oiling attracts sun and burns the skin.

I meant, what sources (recipes) have you been using, even giving the amounts of the ingredients that you list would be helpful. You want help, you have to give people information that they could do something with - if the aloe and the AP oil are only 10% of the total, or if they are 90% of the total - that makes a massive difference to feedback and ideas.

As it stands, those ingredients do not make a lotion in any sense that I would use. A balm, maybe - but unless you look at water, emulsifier, and preservative, getting something fluid enough for a squeeze tube won't be easy.
Here are 3 of the recipes I've found online.2oz zinc, 4oz shea, 4oz CO, 4oz carrier oil and 2 oz beeswax. 2. 1/4 cup beeswax, Shea butter and CO 2 tbsp zinc. 3. 90g CO 65g carrier oil, 28.5g beeswax, 27.5g Shea and 40 g zinc, I've adjusted the beeswax to put a little less since I know that what's responsible for the sunscreen to come out rock hard.

I just looking to find out what the formula is in order for it to be fluid enough to squeeze out of a tube like a cream but not so fluid that it comes out like lotion

I beg you to listen to the above people who strongly suggested to not make your own sunscreen....especially if you're going to use it on other people.

I implore you to not do it.

I know sure screen is ridiculously expensive, but every single commercial batch is stringently tested for things like particle dispersion, applications consistency, product degradation I adverse conditions, etc. Making it at home just simply doesn't properly disperse the zinc or titanium.

As for oils providing protection: oils come from crops grown in different regions, climates, and conditions, Any spf protection will vary from source to source so you never know what you get. Not to mention how the oil was processed or stored adding more variables.

Long story short. I'm a child care provider who was forced by a parent to only use her homemade stuff on her children. This woman is a neurologist. After an hour in the San Diego summer but shaded park, the kids started to burn and I took them home. Then I got reamed for not applying the sunscreen and burning her kids.

So what I'm gathering is, it shouldn't be made. If that's the case why are there so many DIY for making Sunscreen?

Also what about an after sun care lotion made with aloe Vera oil, is that even possible either since sunscreen isnt possible as an DIY?

So what I'm gathering is, it shouldn't be made. If that's the case why are there so many DIY for making Sunscreen?

Also what about an after sun care lotion made with aloe Vera oil, is that even possible either since sunscreen isnt possible as an DIY?

IMO, you're an adult. If you want to attempt to make your own sunscreen for you (and only you) to use, then go for it. It would be sketchy to try it on another adult, and positively neglectful to put it on a child. Honestly I think it's a poor idea b/c you really have no reliable way to test. But it's your body.

A bunch of DIYs for something is no indicator of ... well ... anything really. I'm sure you could find a whole bunch of DIY cancer cures if you looked.

After sun lotion is different than sunscreen. I don't think aloe vera oil is a thing. You can infuse with aloe or make a lotion with aloe juice. The Sage has aloe extract (liquid), aloe powder and aloe butter (aloe extract in coconut oil).

I remember when I was young, I stayed stay long time on the sun covered in cocoa butter to get tanned, It was trendy to be taned. Ten years ago I had small growth on my face and yes it is cancer but so far so good it is the benign kind. Some people just do not listen...........Lenarenee we told her, can not do more

It is because we all hope we can find simple, easy, safe solutions. But, not all bloggers are experts in the thing they are writing about. And one or two have a history of offering what is actually bad advice. it's not like making brownies, where if it doesn't turn out it just tastes bad.

A good friend of mine had a recipe off a blog (or 2 or 3) that was a "lotion" of oils, butters, beeswax etc. She's an essential oil seller, so she focused on EO's with "sun protective qualities." She even added some zinc oxide. It was very thick, like yours. It seemed to prevent burns for an afternoon in the back yard, but full sun at the beach left them all with bad burns.

Unfortunately, this will bring up a hot button issue here of how effective EOs are, and how much you need for them to be effective. Sometimes the big companies with the labs really do have a better safer way.

As I re-read that response, I feel like I hopped around a lot. I hope my points come across!

What do you mean by this is the stuff?
Hiya Desirae,

"This is the Stuff" is a link. Click on it. It will take you to a web page full of sun safe products by Badger. And the Brewer is quite right. It's as natural as it gets and is a top seller in Denver, the "Mile High City" -- we are closer to the sun, hence we need protection, even when it's overcast and cloudy.

...a sunscreen that is creamy enough to be squeezed out of a tube ... as well as an after sun sun care lotion? ... I want it to have aloe Vera oil ... I've read that using macadamia nut oil acts like your own natural skins producing sebum ... I'm also using non nano zinc oxide.

The aloe vera plant is great for burns of any kind, including sun burn. It's also good for maintaining a tan. Aloe Vera Gel is good for that as well. As far as I know, there is no "Aloe Vera Oil" as such, altho WSP carries this product:

Aloe Vera Oil - Clear
Ingredients: Mineral Oil (and) Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Aloe barbadensis Leaf Extract Source: Click on the link here:
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/aloe-vera-oil-clear.aspx
This looks to be a good starting point for an anhydrous "gel" that could be squeezed from a tube.

I believe Swift Crafty Monkey's Blogspot linked above would be a good place to start formulating. It would do you well take good care and especially to keep in mind all the cautions mentioned by previous posters.

HTH :bunny:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back