Matching soap with fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penelopejane

Reaction score
I have a coffee soap that I like. I usually use Moroccan spice fragrance because it discolours and I like the scent.
Should it have a coffee scent?
I'd have to use an FO because coffee EO is $160 for 100g
If I wanted to go natural would it be silly to have rosemary (or something else) scented coffee soap? If so, any suggestions for a sensible EO?

I don't think it has to be coffee scented. On the other hand I recently sniffed a soap with mint eo and coffee fo, which was very nice! Overall anything earthy, spicy or 'gourmand' seems fitting.

Yes, I'm thinking spicy/gourmand too. But what spicy EOs does ever behave in CP soap?

I really like Espresso FO by Brambleberry. It's a true coffee scent to my nose. It's great by itself or blended with vanilla, chocolate or almond. I think BB products are available to you in Australia, right?

I really like Espresso FO by Brambleberry. It's a true coffee scent to my nose. It's great by itself or blended with vanilla, chocolate or almond. I think BB products are available to you in Australia, right?

Yes, very, very expensively but they are very strong compared to some of our home grown FOs so they are probably equivalent when you compare how much you actually use. That is an exercise I am going to do once I get the cheaper FOs to be a strong enough scent in CP soap. BB Champagne is one I've tried that is really strong.

Last edited:
Agree about BB Espresso. It's strong and smells like coffee. That said, if you are using coffee grounds, you could do a breakfast blend with orange EO, or a wake up blend with grapefruit/citrus FO and coffee grounds. I have found that cinnamon leaf EO isn't too naughty if you aren't planning to get fancy, and it doesn't take much.

I'd say that if you choose a specific design element you don't need a coffee scent. Separate out a portion to color differently or to just not add the scent to and spoon swirl it in.

Cinnamon, nutmeg, even cloves or vanilla or cocoa absolute. For me I will be using cinnamon and coffee can be match even nutmeg.

I have a coffee soap that I like. I usually use Moroccan spice fragrance because it discolours and I like the scent.
Should it have a coffee scent?
I'd have to use an FO because coffee EO is $160 for 100g
If I wanted to go natural would it be silly to have rosemary (or something else) scented coffee soap? If so, any suggestions for a sensible EO?

I think those work together because it is a 'dark' scent.

I have a pineapple FO that I like....but it discolors DARK brown and I just don't think pineapple scent works with dark brown soap.

I think if you frame it as coffee soap with X fragrance, that works better to my mind than X fragrance with coffee. So...Coffee Soap with rose fragrance is better than Rose Soap that is brown and has coffee. Does that make sense? LOL not really.

I make a mocha latte with coffee, chocolate and a little bit of vanilla fo. I separate out a small amount of base to leave uncolored. I color the rest with cocoa powder and swirl the uncolored. The vanilla makes the uncolored just a bit creamy beige, the rest is darker brown. Just don't bite it!

Back