Lye Only?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flutter

Reaction score
OK, so I know that lye is caustic, but can it be cleaned away from containers and utensils for safe use again? I've read that some conflicting things online.

For example; I used my glass measuring cup for my lye water mixture, then washed it in the dish washer. Can I use it for food now or should it be only used for soaping from now on?

Never Never Never mix lye solution in glass measuring cups. Over time it can make small etches and the cup will break. Use stainless steel containers or I find Rubbermaid pitchers work well
I did read that would happen with crock pot soaping; I guess glass and ceramic would be about the same in that regard.

OK, but can I still use my glass container for other things now or should I just toss it?

I've been wondering about this too, there doesn't seem to be any real consensus among the soapers. Logically both lye and soap is reasonably water soluble so there shouldn't be any problem to completely wash everything away... But you never know.

when lye comes into contact it will turn to sodium carbonate (washing soda). Just wash everything and it will be fine. As with anything it is better to use soaping containers and utensils for soaping, and food containers, pans and utensils for food. With soaping if you use fragrance it will permeate non stainless utensils. You do not want to use a spatula for soaping and cooking

IMO, some people have an unreasonable fear of lye which causes the admonishions about not "crossing the streams." Understand and respect it, sure, but the fear is unwarranted. You can use your container again.

I think EOs and FOs are a better reason to have seperate equipment. They can be much harder to wash away, especially from plastics.

IMO it depends on what materials you are working with. I have silicone spatulas and a few plastic jugs that I will NEVER use for a non-bath and body purpose, I buy specifically with that in mind. Plastics and silicone can hold a fragrance for a long time and I wouldn't want to accidentally feed anyone a FO. I have used my glass kitchen measuring cup before but recently purchased one to keep with my soaping stuff. Glass and stainless steel are much easier to clean residue off of but I still like keeping my utensils as separate as possible, just in case. Its good practice now that I'm childless but I cannot confidently say that I'll never have kids. I don't want to be the parent getting funny looks in the ER for my child accidentally drinking a lye solution.

Considering vinegar and lemon juice are at the one end of the pH scale and lye water on the other.
If you use dishes after they had lemon juice and vinegar in them, why wouldn't you use one that had lye water in it? :D

But I personally, have bowls and utensils specifically for soaping. Not because I'm scared of lye, but everything gets covered in oil gunk, fragrance etc etc. I don't want my food to taste like soap.
Plastic pitchers are great for dissolving lye, it has to be made from a specific plastic and it lasts and lasts. I still have $2 one that I purchased about 4 years ago.

Flutter, it freaks me out to reuse the container were I mix my lye, so I use disposable coffee cups. Just make sure you get the sturdy ones.

No cleaning involved.:mrgreen:

I've used my glass measuring cups in a pinch, but not for lye because once dissolved, it looks like water. I have plastic cups for those that look completely different than my other dishes. I read about someone whose husband tried to drink the water by mistake, and have separated my dishes for soaping since then. My husband and anyone that stays with us knows which dishes those are.

Sorry, I missed the date on this.

I very occasionally use glass containers for soaping purposes, but I generally try to stick to plastic.

We often say here, "Lye is not radioactive. respect it, but don't fear it." I have large glass batter bowls that have held soap and they also still hold food on occasion.

For silicone I do try to have separate soaping tools and food tools, but as other posters said, that's more about FOs sticking around than about lye. Lye is actually used in some food, such as soft pretzels are dipped in a lye bath to give them that chewy texture.

I've been wondering about this too, there doesn't seem to be any real consensus among the soapers. Logically both lye and soap is reasonably water soluble so there shouldn't be any problem to completely wash everything away... But you never know.

I'd say there's plenty of consensus if you're talking about soapers who understand the chemistry vs. ones who are afraid of "chemicals."

An alkali such as NaOH or KOH is a powerful chemical but it is not a long-lasting toxin such as DDT or uranium. NaOH and KOH break down quickly in the environment to reasonably safe chemicals such as sodium carbonate (soda ash) and the like. Anything with NaOH or KOH residues is perfectly safe to be reused for food after a good rinse and wash.

I am more particular about not reusing containers that have held full strength fragrance oils or essential oils. And I avoid using items for food that cannot be completely cleaned of all soap residues (a stick blender for example).

A clarification -- New soapers may not realize this, so I want to suggest that you be careful about using the word "lye" to mean NaOH. The word "lye" can be used for any alkali solution that can be used to make soap. This includes NaOH, KOH, sodium carbonate, potassium carbonate, and even baking soda (sodium bicarbonate).

And the word "lye" doesn't technically include alkali in solid form -- it really refers to only a liquid solution.

If we all know the context, I think it's okay to use "lye" in an informal way, but be careful to use the proper name if there's any reason people might not understand what you're talking about from the general context of the conversation.

I've seen this confusion happening more often of late. I don't want to be the "lye police", but I do want to explain so folks can better understand how to communicate effectively.

Traditionally, pretzels were dipped in a lye solution to promote browning and contribute flavor.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013159-bavarian-style-soft-pretzels

Baking soda can be used, but the pretzels are quite the same.

Supposedly there's a middle ground where you heat baking soda in the oven to make food grade sodium carbonate (a stronger caustic).

I haven't tried it; I just used actual lye when I made pretzels a few years ago. I read about it when I was looking into making faux ramen noodles (pun not intended, but I wish it had been) by boiling spaghetti with baking soda.

Back