Recipe Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapAddict415

Reaction score
Every soap recipe I've ever made/tried has had olive oil in it. I'd like to try a recipe without OO. I was thinking of making a recipe that uses all of my fave fats. So far I have 8% castor & 22% coconut (I use those 2 at those percentages in every recipe for some reason). Any suggestions for how much of the following fats to use would be appreciated: mango butter, shea butter, lard, apricot kernel oil, avocado oil, rice bran oil, palm oil or palm kernel flakes, horsetail butter and green tea butter. I'm thinking of adding the last 2 butters at trace becuz they're not listed on soapcalc.

, horsetail butter and green tea butter. .

Check out the listing where you got those. I'm not familiar with horsetail butter but I'd imagine green tea butter is a hydrogenated soy with green tea extract. If that's the case then the sap for soy should work though th lye would eat any goodness from the tea. "Novelty butters" like that seem intended for body butters or other leaveon products where you can claim the extracts are working.

Tea Oil is in SoapCalc as Camellia Oil, Tea Seed. I have actually bought this oil at the only Tea Plantation in North America, the Charleston Tea Plantation. But that's beside the point.

If you look at SwiftCraftyMonkey, Susan talks more about the composition of Green Tea Butter here. It certainly seems it is best used in leave-on products and would be wasted in soap.

I had not heard of horsetail butter, but I used to use horsetail frequently to make tea. Here is some info about Horsetail Butter and it does say it can be used in bars soaps, but doesn't list a SAP value for it. Although it does look like it's made with Almond Oil, a hydrogenated vegetable oil (possibly soy) and of course, horsetail. On Camden-Grey's site they do say Almond & Soy oils are used to make the butter (link) and they do list a SAP value of 175-200.

Again, it seems you'd be wasting a lot of money using these butters in bar soap. If you want horsetail, just get some from a health food store in the bulk herbs section, and make an oil infusion yourself. Same with green tea or green tea extract. Just a suggestion to save you some money. But if you already have them and don't want to make leave-on products with them, at least you have an idea of the SAP value now.

I just copied down a recipe that Weavers Port just included in another thread (originally contributed by Lenaree). Not sure if you're good with using lard...

60% lard
20% avocado
15% coconut oil
5% castor

I personally can't wait to try it!

Every soap recipe I've ever made/tried has had olive oil in it. I'd like to try a recipe without OO. I was thinking of making a recipe that uses all of my fave fats. So far I have 8% castor & 22% coconut (I use those 2 at those percentages in every recipe for some reason). Any suggestions for how much of the following fats to use would be appreciated
I hope I'm not too late. I took a stab at it:

20% lard
20% palm oil
13% palm kernel flakes
12% coconut
8% rice bran oil
7% apricot kernel oil
7% avocado oil
5% mango butter
5% shea butter
5% castor

0 horsetail butter - save for leave on products
0 green tea butter -"

I kinda like the results... looks good to me... :)

Favorite Oils Soap.png

Latest posts

Back