FO's

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmo

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: SMF is not responsible for any sale, trade, co-op, pre-buy, fast buy, garage sale, ad or other transactions between members. All parties enter into transactions at their own will/risk.

Can we go back to talking about the FOs we want duped please? Dibbles kindly sent me a lovely Elderflower soap. I put it in the same category as Linden. It is a clean, fresh scent with a hint of green. It is definitely uncommon in the world of floral FOs. It is the nicest floral I tried and I have over a 100. I hope it is one of the FOs that Nurture decides to dupe. I'll be the first one buying.

I hope the negative turn this thread took for a brief moment doesn't discourage suppliers from volunteering to help us. This past year we lost Tennessee, Soapalooza, Mad Oils and probably more. I suspect more suppliers will stop selling FOs since it is a very competitive market. It would be nice if we have an easy way to reproduce the FOs we like.

Cosmo, thank you for considering our requests. Duping FOs is risky and expensive. I hope we helped you narrow down the list.

I'm glad to do it! To be completely honest, FO's aren't nearly as risky as the color market with all the color additive regulations. I can assure of one thing...Nurture isn't going anywhere. I live and breath this business. Nurture is my baby!

I have smelled Elderflower and I agree it is amazing! That one is going to be one of the first new ones we carry.

DISCLAIMER: SMF is not responsible for any sale, trade, co-op, pre-buy, fast buy, garage sale, ad or other transactions between members. All parties enter into transactions at their own will/risk.

Thank you! I would love help with prioritizing the duplications! I do think the 5 ml is too small of a sample. It would be very hard to test this small of an amount in soap. Do you agree? Our sample sizes are almost an ounce which are big enough to test in about 1 pound of soap.

Yes, 1 oz is perfect for me. I like to have enough soap made with it that I can both send it out to testers, and keep a bar for long term sticking.

I saved the Nurture FO dupes for MO in a document last week for a quick personal reference:

Mad Oils - Nurture
Snow Witch - Winter Wonderland
Vanilla Milk - Vanilla Cream
South Beach - 8th and Ocean
Earl Grey - Afternoon Tea
Spanish Fly - Olive Branch

I tested all the new dupes yesterday. I will make a post on the sponsor's forum later today with notes on discoloration, acceleration, etc. :smile:

Ooooo, looking forward to it! Maybe some of the new ones are 200 in the flashpoint dep. ? : D

I have a terrible time finding a single-note lemon fragrance with 200 flashpoint. They are always blended with all kinds of other things, and I am sure they are lovely, but not what I am loking for.

Also a Bay-Rum fragrance, and a Dragons Blood. They are all so low on the flashpoint scale I can`t get it shipped to me. Perhaps those simply can not be made with higher flashpoints?

Anyway, I was just wondering about something... I wanted to get the Snowcake fragrance oil you carry, I adore anything with almond/marzipan undertones, but it said it was a seasonal fragrance that is gone now and will come back next fall. My funds didn`t come in on time, so couldn`t get it before it was gone. I wanted to make a few batches with it now, soaps that needs a loooong cure and would be perfect when fall & winter was here. Oh well.

Does that mean that summery scents will disapear when winter comes, since some of your wintery scents are pulled now, moving towards spring? I am just asking because you ship internationally, and since not all of us internationals are living in the same climate, some of us may need those winterscents when you have warmer weather, and vice versa, lol ; )

If that is the case I just need to prepare myself and try to make it work anyway.

Thank you for all your hard work! : )

I tested 25 different Mad Oils dupe fragrances yesterday. I ordered about 7 of them today and they should be available in 2 weeks! Here's my notes:

Recipe:
sm.PNG

I tested with a harder recipe than I normally do to test for acceleration. My normal recipe has a hardness of 33. Surprisingly, the only one that accelerated just a bit was Wild Hyacinth. Even Grow a Pear tree behaved very nicely! I used full water.

Loo Loo Shampoo: Light scent. No A and no D. I like it and ordered it today!

Arabian Nights:
Light D. No A. Strong scent.

Sexy Beast:
Very light D, no A. Medium scent.

Hedonic Tonic: No A, no D. Strong scent.

Smoke and Mirrors: Light pink/tan color. No A, no D.

Grow a Pear Tree: Really strong scent! No A, no D. Got hot in mold.

Elderflower: No A, no D. Light scent.

Golden Embargo: Medium discoloration. No A. Light scent.

Sugar Cookie Crunch:
No A. Dark D. Strong scent!

Cotton Candy: No A, light D. Light scent.

Marzipan: No A, light D. Very strong scent!

Orange Blossom:
No A, No D. Very light scent.

Saucy Santa:
Medium D, No A. Strong scent.

Rosebud: No A or D. Strong scent.

Powder Puff Girl: Light D, no A. Very light scent.

Pink Sugar:
Dark D, no A. Light scent.

Rose Geranium:
Light D, no A. Strong scent.

Mayan Gold:
Light D, no A. Medium scent.

Lemon Poppy Muffin:
Got hot in mold. No A, Light D. Good strong scent.

Dragon's Blood:
Medium D, no A. Medium scent.

Wild Hyacinth: Slight A, no D. Strong scent.

Gourmet Chocolate:
Dark D, no A. Strong scent.

Pink Grapefruit: No A, no D. Light scent.

Lemon Unhinged:
Got hot in mold. Light D, no A. Strong scent.

Velvet Peppercorn:
Light D, no A. Strong scent.

What I ordered today are: Hedonic Tonic, Grow a Pear Tree, Loo Loo Shampoo, Sexy Beast, Arabian Nights, Elderflower, Smoke and Mirrors, and Deviant (previously tested). My favorite was Loo Loo Shampoo. I also really liked Marzipan but will order it closer to fall. Elderflower was also very nice.

Ooooo, looking forward to it! Maybe some of the new ones are 200 in the flashpoint dep. ? : D

I have a terrible time finding a single-note lemon fragrance with 200 flashpoint. They are always blended with all kinds of other things, and I am sure they are lovely, but not what I am loking for.

Also a Bay-Rum fragrance, and a Dragons Blood. They are all so low on the flashpoint scale I can`t get it shipped to me. Perhaps those simply can not be made with higher flashpoints?

Anyway, I was just wondering about something... I wanted to get the Snowcake fragrance oil you carry, I adore anything with almond/marzipan undertones, but it said it was a seasonal fragrance that is gone now and will come back next fall. My funds didn`t come in on time, so couldn`t get it before it was gone. I wanted to make a few batches with it now, soaps that needs a loooong cure and would be perfect when fall & winter was here. Oh well.

Does that mean that summery scents will disapear when winter comes, since some of your wintery scents are pulled now, moving towards spring? I am just asking because you ship internationally, and since not all of us internationals are living in the same climate, some of us may need those winterscents when you have warmer weather, and vice versa, lol ; )

If that is the case I just need to prepare myself and try to make it work anyway.

Thank you for all your hard work! : )

We will not get rid of spring/summer scents, since they seem to sell year 'round. Fall and winter scents don't seem to. :( Snowcake is available on the site again. We refilled yesterday. I will double check flash points and post them tomorrow!

Thank you for the update. The duping was very quick. How soon do you think you'll get these in stock? So the peppercorn didn't make the cut? Also, could you please update the scent in about 6 weeks?

I also want to ask you if you would be willing to dupe some of the (now gone) Tennessee Candle FOs. I was going to PM you but decided to do it publicly so others know you're being asked for a big favor. There are others looking for many of these FOs on the Craftserver board. I have enough to send you 1 to 2 oz if you decide you want to test them.

I've been looking at your new FOs, making my list and checking it twice....

Thank you for the update. The duping was very quick. How soon do you think you'll get these in stock? So the peppercorn didn't make the cut? Also, could you please update the scent in about 6 weeks?

I also want to ask you if you would be willing to dupe some of the (now gone) Tennessee Candle FOs. I was going to PM you but decided to do it publicly so others know you're being asked for a big favor. There are others looking for many of these FOs on the Craftserver board. I have enough to send you 1 to 2 oz if you decide you want to test them.

I've been looking at your new FOs, making my list and checking it twice....

I will be happy to dupe these for you! However, they may not be available until later in the year. We will start remodeling our new warehouse in the spring and moving in late summer/fall. At that time we'll have much more space to dedicate to fragrance inventory and will carry a lot more. If I can dupe some of the scents you like now, we can have them ready to purchase when we need them, which would be great!

I ill be purchasing Velvet Peppercorn in the next round. I wanted to keep the new fragrance purchase rather small as building listings and filling can be very time consuming. This way it's a lot more manageable. :) I always check back on all scents in the soaps in 6 weeks to see how they're doing. When I do I will update the fragrance notes spreadsheet we have on our site with the new notes.

I will be happy to dupe these for you! However, they may not be available until later in the year. We will start remodeling our new warehouse in the spring and moving in late summer/fall. At that time we'll have much more space to dedicate to fragrance inventory and will carry a lot more. If I can dupe some of the scents you like now, we can have them ready to purchase when we need them, which would be great!

Thank you so much. I'm a hobbyist but I share my soaps with about 50 people so I'm at a point where I buy the FOs I like in larger volume. I'm not in a hurry for these. I have enough to last me till the end of the year. For most of them, I'll be able to send you enough to test in advance so you can decide if they are worth your effort. There are some that have become favorites like the Peach Raspberry magnolia, True Lavender, Lovespell, Sweet Musk, Tangerine dreams and many of the single florals. I've used many of the florals in blends to save other FOs. I have soaps that are over 18 months old and the scents are still there and no dos in sight.

These FOs don't have that oily scent that so many FOs tend to have. They have very clean scent profile if that makes sense.

I have posted on the Craftserver board to let them know that you will dupe some of the the TCS oils and to contact you if they want any of their favorite duped.

I'm so happy to hear that you are expanding. Congratulations on the new warehouse!

We have some of the duplication now available on the site, however we are finding inconsistencies with some of them. We had Arabian Nights duplicated exactly, and the lab found it was not phthalate free. Ours will state that it in fact has phthalates. We will be analyzing more to see if we find more inconsistencies and will post here. Of course, we strongly encourage anyone to send an original bottle of this fragrance to an independent lab to verify this.

When everything is listed, I will post it here. I should be done tomorrow!

I'm off to order. I'm looking forward to testing new FOs. I haven't sent the TCS FOs for duplication yet. I should be able to mail them out this coming week.

Thanks for being so responsive Carrie. I loved your site before, and now I love it more. Thanks too for the duplications list- it's super helpful. :)

It's not that they aren't paying attention. PR counts, sadly, you're dealing with the outfall of a bad PR move.

Agreed. I didn't follow much because I'm not necessarily a regular customer of Mad Oils', but from what I saw there briefly they got awfully tetchy on Facebook with people over what seemed like just confusion or a request for clarification (i.e. the 'tone' was unwarranted). I wasn't terribly impressed.

That, in addition to what I'm sure was really at its core just a decision to try to focus their business was maybe not the best thing for them.

What a strange situation all around with regard to Mad Oils. A lot of people have been "paying attention", and this is what has led to some bad PR and a little bit of dismay among soapers and some of Mad Oils' customer base. Of course any business can change their focus at any point, but how that change is handled is important, especially now when "tone" matters more than ever and things are broadcast instantly across social media.

Complicating this is the fact that multiple suppliers are offering note-for-note dupes, and several (not including Arizona Mad Oils, which appears to be the "official" source for hobbyist volumes) are selling the exact same oils, ostensibly from Mad Oils' own manufacturers.

Latest posts

Back