A lotion recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
I'm hoping this is the right place for this post. (moved) I'm looking to start making lotions and I'd like to know if anyone can point me in the direction of a light (not greasy) and easily absorbed recipe. Like the soap I make, this will be for my use primarily and then family and friends next. I've been doing some reading and have watched as many Youtube videos as I could find and would like to make 4 - 8 oz in the coming weeks but would like a good recipe that fits my criteria. I am very particular about the moisturizer I use in that it can't be heavy, it can't leave a greasy feel, it can't leave skin feeling tacky and has to absorb pretty well. In my mind's eye I have cocoa butter, almond oil and aloe vera juice as primary ingredients but that can easily be changed if those won't get me what I'm looking to end up with. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Be careful with the idea of adding all kinds of botanical additives like aloe juice, milk, or any other ingredient that rounds out the cootie-food menu by adding sugars and proteins. This is not recommended even with a very good broad-spectrum preservative. In addition to Susan's blog, I also recommend http://www.makingskincare.com/tutorials/

I like BTMS-50 as my emulsifier and also DL-Panthenol - Brambleberry carries it and they also have a good lotion recipe that uses both.

Oh My, you are in trouble now. I find making lotion is as addicting as making soap and have a shelf of test lotions, some failures many successes. To get a less greasy lotion use oils like macademia, (look up oil properties), some silicone's or ipm. Do not use any butters and I have found tremendous differences with emulsifiers having tried many different emulsifiers. I like this emulsifier for my lighter lotions http://www.makingcosmetics.com/CreamMaker-CA-20_p_113.html and it is easy to work with. The CreamMaker blend is also nice and is stable. Always read the details of the emulsifier to find out max oil and what preservatives can be used

Cmzaha is right Lotion are more addictive that soap, and there is countless additives you need, so ordering and ordering............good luck ;)

Thanks to all for the replies. Just what I need... another thing to eat up my already limited funds.
Thanks DeeAnna for the link and warning about the aloe and other additives. I actually hit that site a couple of weeks back when I got the idea to make my own. I plan 3 test batches of 4 oz each; two with aloe vera juice and one with water. The idea is to make 2 with aloe vera juice and one one I'll use a single preservative and on the second I'll use a combo of 2 different preservatives. I plan to leave these be for about 6 months (using them, of course) and see what the end results are. All three will be bottled in either amber or blue bottles and left on my bathroom sink to emulate where lotions here would usually live.
As much fun as this looks to be I definitely can't let myself get sucked into another addiction! But... time will tell.:neutral:

Last edited:
I use Aloe powder, which was recommended on the SwiftyCraftyMonkey site, and I really like it in lotions.
+1 to it being addictive.

Lotions... Good luck with that. I finally found that I should have never bought a pound of stearic acid and have come to know the joys of babassu in a lotion. I am possibly one of the few here who will not advise the tree nut oils in lotions but that is only because I cannot have them in my home not because I hate them (I don't. They do feel nice).

To make that "perfect lotion", you will need patience, heat resistant containers, the will power NOT to make more than 200g until you're comfortable making lotion, and pipettes, lots of pipettes.

I second the 200 gram batches when developing a recipe. Anything under that and it's hard to measure and mix properly. Anything much over 200 g -- well, it's just plain frustrating and annoying to discard a big batch of lotion if it doesn't turn out.

Once I have a good recipe, I'll make up to 500 grams. That's plenty for my use only -- I don't give it away nor sell. I'd rather make lotion more often and know the fats and other ingredients are fresh. And if I get tired of a scent, smallish batches let me change the fragrance more often.

My first lotion was from Humble Bee and Me. She has a blog and is on You Tube

Marie, the Humblebee lady, has come a long way in the past few years. During my visit to her website today, I read good articles about emulsifiers and preservatives. Kudos to her -- she's done a lot of learning and her advice reflects her hard work! I'd say for anyone who is overwhelmed by Susan's blog (swiftcraftymonkey) -- I suggest you check out Humblebee and Me. Looks like she's doing a good job of distilling complicated subjects into the basics that people need to know.

I agree with others on ipm and also dimethicone. I like apricot kernel for a light oil.

Latest posts

Back