Netti Pot? Success?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luviesmom

Reaction score
We have been dealing with a virus for the last week. It has been horrible. Kids were out of school for 4 days, they are such germs critters. :)

My youngest was on antibiotics. Again, she has snotty snot. OlDer one had goop eyes, spent 2 hours at doctors. He said nothing can be done for a viral infection.

I have bleached my house, sheets, bedding but we keep getting sick. Now, I am am sick. I have this annoying ear blockage. Crackling, squealing when I blow my nose. I really don't want to go to antibiotics. Have any used Netti Pot and got rid of ear congestion? It doesn't hurt. Just really irritating. My Eustachian tube is obviously blocked. Should I try the Netti pot?

Not for eustachian tubes. The problem there is that your adenoids are swollen (as well as your sinuses), and are crimping off those tiny tubes. If it blocks the fluid from draining out of your ears, they will get infected. And yes, the doctor is correct. There is nothing they can do about viruses unless they are the flu. The flu they can give you some meds to shorten the duration and severity.

If you have recently moved to the area, be aware that none of you have any immunity built up to the local germs. Hence everyone getting ill over and over. You are not catching the same one over and over, they are all actually mutations that you have never been exposed to. I have found that it takes me about a year and a half to stop catching every stinking germ that goes around once I have moved.

Last edited:
I would suggest trying a neti pot anyway. It won't hurt and your ears and sinuses are connected so clearing out your sinuses may help your ears drain. I have had success managing allergies with regular neti pot use.

When you use it, use distilled water or boiled tap water (cooled, of course). You can buy the salt packets but they are ridiculously overpriced for what they are. I use kosher salt and just eyeball the amount but I suggest using about 1/2 teaspoon to start. If you use too much salt, you'll notice. You can also look for pharmaceutical grade salt. Your local pharmacy may have it.

And also, antibiotics don't work on viruses so I don't recommend taking one for this.

We have well water try distilled. And use their salts. I also spent 16.00 on a house filter. I have to say, after one day / night. Been breathing out of nose again. No longer a mouth breather.

I have severe sinus issues, to the point if affects my ears/jaws. A couple years back during fire season it got especially bad (smoke), lots of fluid in my ears so I ended up at the DR. She had me using a nasal rinse 2-3 times a days, it really started to help after a week or so. I ended up having to use the rinse for the whole summer to help keep my ears clear.
Dr said you can't really over use sinus rinse so use it multiple times a day if it helps. If course it become uncomfortable, go back to once a day.

I don't use a neti pot though, it helps some but can't get higher in the sinus. Instead, I use this http://shop.neilmed.com/Products/Sinus-Rinse/Sinus-Rinse-Regular-Kit when I run out of packets, I just get a huge box of generic ones from a local pharmacy. I wouldn't use just salt to make my own rinse, the stuff you buy is buffered (PH balanced) so it doesn't sting too much.

Last edited:
I use the spray, also. But I go ahead and buy the pre-mixed. I don't use it often enough to worry with the mix it yourself.

If you are going to use your own salt and water, use distilled or filtered (just try to skip the floridated/chlorinated if you can help it), and mix 1/4 tsp non-iodized salt to 1 cup of water. That makes saline to the strength that the medical folks call "normal saline" for IVs and stuff. It is the same salinity as your blood.

Thanks ya'll. Finally got the girls over the hump. My right ear is making me nuts. I will go get a netti pot or type tomorrow and DISTILLED water. I tried it 4 years years ago, got a bad sinus infection. MY FAULT. Didn't boil our well water.

Do you have a nice recliner luvie? Try sleeping in that for a couple of nights too. Laying down at night lets all the mucous and fluids pool so when you wake in the morning it takes hours for it to drain back out.

Has your doctor mentioned taking a good probiotic?

Our household is on its second round of illness here - the never ending hacking cough virus. You have my sympathies.

Susie, I had no idea that viruses or their mutations could be localized. Fascinating.

I figured it out due to several moves. Moves less than two hours are never a problem. But when you cross that 2.5-3 hour line, watch out. Then I spoke to the infection control doc I worked with, and he verified it.

If it is an ear infection why would you not take antibotics? Ear infections can be very dangerous. I had a customer that was fighting a cold and earache and delayed going to the doctor. She finally made an appointment for a Monday and died on Sunday. The infection went to her brain. They just are not something to fool around with. I was on antibotics for three months plus ear drops trying to get an ear infection healed. I am still on just the eardrops because it is still a titch red. Doc told me it was because I cannot take pencillian that I had to take them so long. I do not mess around with ear infections

I understand the desire not to take antibiotics. I had an MD (sadly, she has retired) who said to imagine that you can take only four more doses of antibiotics in your life and choose them wisely.

So, I did the netti pot thing for quite awhile and things were great (but then those stories of people using boiled municipal water getting brain infections gave me the heebie jeebies). Now it's just the canned saline, which works fine.

But for viruses, I have my new hero. Our family all reacted badly to Tamiflu when I got the flu last year, so that's out and there are only a couple of other antivirals. But the great antiviral I now use is Sweet Gum Tincture (which contains shakimic acid, the precursor to Tamiflu, but lots of other phytochemicals to balance the shakimic). Yep, those pointy balls that hurt like hell when you step on them barefooted. Grab a bunch off the tree (not the dried out ones that fall off), chop 'em all up and half fill a mason jar. Cover that with 100 proof vodka. Shake it daily then strain the liquid out six weeks later. A dropper full (about 1 ml) 3 times a day when I first get a sore throat or cold and it is knocked out in a couple of days. Worked for the kids, too (mixed in cherry juice). And if you want an anti-bacterial, do the same thing with Old Man's Beard (usnea)--particularly good against gram positive bacteria and strep.

Ok, my two cents from a low-tech (healthwise) country - India.
I've had severe sinus trouble for years, from a combination of allergies and a blocked nostril (which I found out about and had fixed about two years ago). Although neti is an ayurvedic procedure, I could not find a neti pot ANYWHERE here!
So, I used an empty, sterilised, ketchup squeeze bottle. My ENT surgeon's recipe for the saline solution is - 1 teacup of lukewarm water, with a 3-finger pinch each of table salt & baking soda. Rinse and repeat. She also suggested using a large syringe (without needle) to shoot that solution right up into my sinuses.
Works great, but i don't continue the practice so still end up with a couple of infections a year. The most recent time, I realised I have a great collection of essential oils that I use to scent soap, googled the therapeutic properties and made a blend of Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Pine and Lemon oils. poured a couple of drop on a hankie that I held to my nose all day & spread over my face at night; diluted some with sunflower oil, poured a bit on two pieces of cotton and stuck them in my ears for about 30 mins at a time... Can't say for sure that's it's from the oil blend, but that's the fastest I've recovered from an infection that had affected my sinuses and ears.

I would suggest trying a neti pot anyway. It won't hurt and your ears and sinuses are connected so clearing out your sinuses may help your ears drain. I have had success managing allergies with regular neti pot use.

When you use it, use distilled water or boiled tap water (cooled, of course).

^^^What SheLion said.

During the winter there are usually a few weeks every year when my sinuses get clogged up; the neti really helps clear the infection. And it makes me feel so good. But seriously, distilled CLEAN water only. There have been a few (very rare) cases where people used contaminated water and came away with some serious infections. But if you use clean water it should be OK. Usually I boil mine, swish some boiling water in the pot itself to disinfect it, then pour the boiling water in there and let it cool off before using.

^^^What SheLion said.

During the winter there are usually a few weeks every year when my sinuses get clogged up; the neti really helps clear the infection. And it makes me feel so good. But seriously, distilled CLEAN water only. There have been a few (very rare) cases where people used contaminated water and came away with some serious infections. But if you use clean water it should be OK. Usually I boil mine, swish some boiling water in the pot itself to disinfect it, then pour the boiling water in there and let it cool off before using.

Yeah, I am a bit phobic about germs, also. (I am a nurse, and they train us this way.) This is what I would do if I intended to use anything refillable.

That is why I buy a new bottle of saline nasal spray with each new infection. I keep one still with the wrapper on in the drawer, then use it, and replace a new one to the drawer. That way, I know I am not growing germs in there. But I seldom need them, so that is not a huge issue.

Latest posts

Back