3d Printer!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie
Reaction score
Here's my brand new 3d printer up and running! It's currently printing out the test file. Once it's done I'm going to try printing out a soap stamp. If that works out well, as soon as I'm allowed to I'll put up an ad in the classifieds to print custom soap stamps for folks.

printer-1704.jpg

I also have a fairly new 3d printer. Kchaystack posted about his printer a few months ago and I was persuaded. It's a ton of fun. I've printed a bunch of stuff from thingiverse and my mini factory, and I'm trying to learn Fusion 360 so I can design my own things.

I expect to do that in a few months!

We backed a kickstarter for an inexpensive printer but the company is in the middle of the Oregon wildfires. Delivery was supposed to be October/November but we only just got confirmation that they're back in the warehouse and catching up on production.

Post lots of pics so I can live vicariously through you!

Ok, this is a cool thing I found on Thingiverse.

dragoneggbox-1708.jpg

It's a keepsake box! The top and bottom screw together.

dragoneggbox1-1709.jpg

I've got a friend who wants a couple to try and put micro LED lights in, which I think sounds like an awesome idea! They can also be painted, or left as-is and vary the color by using different colors of filament. I'm not up to trying switching colors mid-print yet, though and don't have a print head that can run two colors at once.

I found soap dishes...

This fractal pattern is called a dragon curve. It's all open on the bottom, so it's easy to clean built up gunk from inside the squares. Printed with ABS filament.

dragoncurve-1718.jpg

I also discovered the the dragon egg up there is scalable. Means I can make it bigger! I've already printed one almost twice the size of the original. I'm going to make one as big as my printer can handle, I'll have to print each piece all by itself and it'll take a day or two.

soapdishes-1719.jpg

More soap dishes!

Right now I've got the first part of the biggest dragon egg I can make started printing. It'll wind up being somewhere between 10 and 12 inches tall altogether, and almost 6 inches across. Printing it out in black, and planning to paint it. The smaller ones I printed in transparent filament I'll give to a techie friend who wants to put lights in them.

Last edited:
I've been having fun with lithophane. Use this website: http://3dp.rocks/lithophane/ to convert a picture (black and white works best) into an stl file, and you can print this:

OOooooooooh.... I've got a few pictures that would probably be really awesome with, too.

Okay, that's neat! Thanks for sharing the link.

Yeah, they're fun. Hopefully this link takes you to a YouTube video that explains the process. Important things to remember is to change the image from a negative to a positive image, and to print the lithophane standing up. I add a brim in the slicer so the print sticks. https://youtu.be/y63sVpeViXo

Back