Cure time Doubters? A Visual

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These two salt bars were made with the same recipe, both lathered in hands for 20 seconds. The first is 7 months old, the second is 5 weeks old. No contest.

DSC01602_0280.jpg

DSC01603_0281.jpg

These two salt bars were made with the same recipe, both lathered in hands for 20 seconds. The first is 7 months old, the second is 5 weeks old. No contest.

View attachment 23857

View attachment 23858
I found a couple of bars from this batch that I had stashed away, and thought I would post an update. This bar is the 5 week old soap in the original post, now about 2 years old. It is heavenly.
IMG_20190506_101441.jpg

Are these scented, and if so, how does the scent last with such a long cure time?

Please forgive if this is a stupid question, but I've never made salt soap before, and now I'm intrigued! That lather looks amazing!

Are these scented, and if so, how does the scent last with such a long cure time?

Please forgive if this is a stupid question, but I've never made salt soap before, and now I'm intrigued! That lather looks amazing!
Depends on the scent of course, but mine (which is 7+ years old) still has a faint fruity smell to it. (It was originally scented in Jamaica Me Crazy)

This was scented with Citrus Bath from Fragrance Buddy. Amazingly, it still smells great!

I used one of my salt bars that was 6 months old and it only smelled like... soap. It was scented with lavander EO so I was expecting that.

I agree, @Alfa_Lazcares - most EOs probably won't last for over a year with the possible exception of patchouli and lemongrass. I've had several FOs last a year, though. I have a coconut salt bar that is about a year old that is faint, but still there and an orange blossom blend that is also pretty strong at a year.

Interesting. How much salt do you use, or does that make a difference? I use up to 40%, and get more of a foamy lather than big bubbles.

The fragrance used makes a difference in the lather too. When I use Salty Mariner, Arabian Spice, Black salt and Cypress, the lather is quite respectable at one month.

I need to make some more salt bars, I have no plain Jane ones for myself! :tub:

Interesting. How much salt do you use, or does that make a difference? I use up to 40%, and get more of a foamy lather than big bubbles.

The fragrance used makes a difference in the lather too. When I use Salty Mariner, Arabian Spice, Black salt and Cypress, the lather is quite respectable at one month.

I need to make some more salt bars, I have no plain Jane ones for myself! :tub:
I'd have to look to be sure, but I have been using 50% salt for awhile now. It seems to cut down on the ash. I use individual cavity molds and encourage gel, but would still get a lot of ash at higher amounts. We do have soft water, so that might make a difference with the bubbles. I noticed when I tried cocoa butter at 10% instead of a liquid oil it really affected the lather - not in a good way.

Latest posts

Back