Using apple cider in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desirae

Reaction score
So I was thinking what better way to bring in the cold weather season by making cp using apple cider instead of water.

So has anyone else done this? Was it a successful in working? And most importantly if no fragrance oil is used can you smell the apple cider in the cured soap?

I wanted to try this but before taking the possibility of wasting ingredients and not to mention yummy apple cider, can this be made into a good soap?

Does anyone has a good recipe where you used apple cider they would be willing to share with me so I can give this a try . I want my soap to really smell like apple cider, will using apple cider in place of water help me achieve this?

Or would I better off using my water then adding a small amount of apple cider at trace.

My purpose for wanting to try this is because I can't find any company that has a truly real smelling apple cider or even mulled cider for that mater fragrance oil, I found one called cider barrel but smells nothing like apple cider, then another company had mulled cider, only after my purchase did I realize is not body safe (poo)

Suggestions , recipes?

Thanks ladies

Sadly, the lye monster will gobble it up. It might add something pleasant to the soap, but you won't get an apple cider smell.

I have an FO from Sweet Cakes called Mulled Cider. It smells JUST like the apple cider I get in the produce section of the store. Very apple-y, not just spicey. I need to make some this weekend!

If you are considering using hard cider, you probably need to cook it down a bit to get rid of the alcohol.

Sadly, the lye monster will gobble it up. It might add something pleasant to the soap, but you won't get an apple cider smell.

I have an FO from Sweet Cakes called Mulled Cider. It smells JUST like the apple cider I get in the produce section of the store. Very apple-y, not just spicey. I need to make some this weekend!

If you are considering using hard cider, you probably need to cook it down a bit to get rid of the alcohol.

I didn't know alcohol could be used in soap, idk if that was idea you were giving me or if you thought the cider barrel you thought was alcohol but it's actually a scent sold by rustic escentuals. Well so much do that idea, we'll dble bummer there, and here I thought I had a good idea. Now just curious. I found a recipe for pumpkin using pumpkin puree but it's an old post and no direction on how to do it, it calls for pumpkin puree. Would that be added at trace and then do a water discount on the water lye solution or can it be added to my water and just subtract the amount I use of puree from the total amount of water?. Thanks for your help. And I'll check out that sweet cakes you mentioned I've never seen that site come up in all my searches for soaping supplies so I've only been buying from rustic escentuals natures garden bramble berry and wholesale supplies

Sweet Cakes is one of the more expensive companies. I've loved everything I have from them, but I've picked them up from other soaper's garage sales, I've never placed an order.

When you said "apple cider" I wasn't sure if you meant hard apple cider, which is why I've specified. I've never made soap with alcohol, but plenty of people do it with beer, wine, etc so I see no reason you couldn't do it with hard cider if that's something you wanted to do.

Sweet Cakes is one of the more expensive companies. I've loved everything I have from them, but I've picked them up from other soaper's garage sales, I've never placed an order.

When you said "apple cider" I wasn't sure if you meant hard apple cider, which is why I've specified. I've never made soap with alcohol, but plenty of people do it with beer, wine, etc so I see no reason you couldn't do it with hard cider if that's something you wanted to do.

Oh ok lol, no wen I I've said apple cider I meant the hot drink everyone drinks when its cold outside, I did go look at the site and didn't find the mulled cider fragrance, it gave me 0 search results, well sadly oh well looks like I won't be getting to try it after all

If you do decide to use the cider just because, don't replace all your water with it. The sugars in fruit juice could make your soap overheat.
For the pumpkin soap, use it in place of a little of the water. You can blend it directly into your oils before adding the lye or at trace, whichever you prefer.
Keep in mind that when using additives like this, you don't need a special recipe. You can add fruit/veggies to your favorite recipe.

If you do decide to use the cider just because, don't replace all your water with it. The sugars in fruit juice could make your soap overheat.
For the pumpkin soap, use it in place of a little of the water. You can blend it directly into your oils before adding the lye or at trace, whichever you prefer.
Keep in mind that when using additives like this, you don't need a special recipe. You can add fruit/veggies to your favorite recipe.

I totally agree. I tried my hand at a pumpkin soap and it was the softest soap I had even after months on the shelf. I actually should have molded it into something cute.

OK thanks for the tips.

I totally agree. I tried my hand at a pumpkin soap and it was the softest soap I had even after months on the shelf. I actually should have molded it into something cute.

With all the reading I've done it could never find the answer to 1 question and I've seen it done on bramble berry adding items to the batch after you hit trace does what to the batter? I know adding to the lye solution or in the oils before adding lye solution it gets mixed in and blended together, and adding after the lye the lye doesn't react to it, so makes for a softer bar? But what's the purpose of adding after trace

Adding after trace comes from a soaping superstition (that has been scientifically disproven by Kevin Dunne, among others, IIRC), that waiting until trace means the lye is mostly used up and it will protect special ingredients from the lye monster. Even though it's been disproven, it was one of the "rules" of soaping for a long time so many people just stick with it.

I haven't made a lot of pumpkin soap so I'm no expert. But what I do is 1 teaspoon PPO (per pound of oils) of canned pumpkin puree. Check it see if you have 100% Pumpkin or the Pumpkin Pie Mix.

Libby's Pumpkin Pie Mix ingredients:
Ingredients: Pumpkin, Water, Sugar, Salt, Spices, Dextrose, Natural Flavors.

This would probably be fine to use it soap, I would just pay more attention to it b/c the sugar could cause it to overheat, the salt could cause it to thicken up quickly and the natural flavors could do both of those or something else entirely. I personally always use the 100% Pumpkin b/c I actually don't like to eat pumpkin and if I make pumpkin soap the dogs get the rest of the can. (which is very good for dogs with digestive issues, BTW.)

Adding after trace comes from a soaping superstition (that has been scientifically disproven by Kevin Dunne, among others, IIRC), that waiting until trace means the lye is mostly used up and it will protect special ingredients from the lye monster. Even though it's been disproven, it was one of the "rules" of soaping for a long time so many people just stick with it.

I haven't made a lot of pumpkin soap so I'm no expert. But what I do is 1 teaspoon PPO (per pound of oils) of canned pumpkin puree. Check it see if you have 100% Pumpkin or the Pumpkin Pie Mix.

Libby's Pumpkin Pie Mix ingredients:
Ingredients: Pumpkin, Water, Sugar, Salt, Spices, Dextrose, Natural Flavors.

This would probably be fine to use it soap, I would just pay more attention to it b/c the sugar could cause it to overheat, the salt could cause it to thicken up quickly and the natural flavors could do both of those or something else entirely. I personally always use the 100% Pumpkin b/c I actually don't like to eat pumpkin and if I make pumpkin soap the dogs get the rest of the can. (which is very good for dogs with digestive issues, BTW.)
Thank you for all that input, so since it's all be disproven, I won't waste time or ingredients adding after trace and such, and thank you for that bit for dogs, now for that where would you find 100% pumpkin puree as apposed to the lobby can?

I have only used pumpkin puree not the pie mix. I add about a 1/2 cup in my 6 lb batch. I add it to my oils before the lye mixture and have not had any issues with it. I love pumpkin and make smoothies, drinks and dog treats with it so I usually make my soap and then use the remainder for something else. Just subtract the amount of pumpkin from you liquid amount.

I make pumpkin puree soap in the fall every year, and it is not a soft soap. The following link is a good tutorial for pumpkin puree soap although it is not my recipe, I did start with it when I first started using purees. It makes a nice soap https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...ocess-soap/pumpkin-puree-cold-process-soap-2/

Forgot to mention I have made soap with hard cider, but then what have I not made soap with. :) I treat it like wine and be very careful, some hard ciders have a high alcohol content. I cook off the alcohol and use it for half my liquid. I add my 50:50 lye solution slowly to the oils sb a couple seconds then slowly add in the hard apple cider. I have never had a volcano, with this method but still use a larger mixing bucket just in case.

Last edited:
I have not used apple cider, but I have used carrot juice in place of water in soap. It's really mostly water as are all liquid drinks you can use in soap. Since I don't like high Coconut Oil content in my soap, adding natural or organic drinks (no added sugar) to my soap helps with the bubbles, or so it seems. Plus it's fun experimenting. I have also used pureed carrots, but in minimal amounts as a little goes a long way. I'd share my carrot soap recipe, but my computer is currently on the fritz and I cannot access the files from this device atm.

FYI, the color from carrots fades from the outer surfaces of the soap. There is no associated scent from any food item I have added to soap. A couple of nights ago I added pureed avocado to soap along with a green mica because in my experience avocado turns brownish in soap. But for now, it's a lovely sort of celery green. I expect it may darken a bit, but if not I will be very happy with this color.

Look for the Libby canned pumpkin, it's just plain pumpkin. The premade pumpkin pie mix is the stiff to stay away from.
Other option is to buy a small pumpkin, bake it then pour the cooked meat. I would stain it through a sieve too.

I have not used apple cider, but I have used carrot juice in place of water in soap. It's really mostly water as are all liquid drinks you can use in soap. Since I don't like high Coconut Oil content in my soap, adding natural or organic drinks (no added sugar) to my soap helps with the bubbles, or so it seems. Plus it's fun experimenting. I have also used pureed carrots, but in minimal amounts as a little goes a long way. I'd share my carrot soap recipe, but my computer is currently on the fritz and I cannot access the files from this device atm.

FYI, the color from carrots fades from the outer surfaces of the soap. There is no associated scent from any food item I have added to soap. A couple of nights ago I added pureed avocado to soap along with a green mica because in my experience avocado turns brownish in soap. But for now, it's a lovely sort of celery green. I expect it may darken a bit, but if not I will be very happy with this color.
Are there any food/drink products that have a great scent on its own that can be used in soap that will STILL retain that great scent, or is it all eaten by the lye?

Look for the Libby canned pumpkin, it's just plain pumpkin. The premade pumpkin pie mix is the stiff to stay away from.
Other option is to buy a small pumpkin, bake it then pour the cooked meat. I would stain it through a sieve too.

I do have the libby can in my fridge speak of the devil lol, I've heard of the word sieve but what is it, what does it look like and where would I buy one? I was at Walmart and target yesterday and every employee I asked looked at me like I was talking gibberish and had no clue what it was or where to find it, I know it's related to straining but does it look like cheesecloth

I do have the libby can in my fridge speak of the devil lol, I've heard of the word sieve but what is it, what does it look like and where would I buy one? I was at Walmart and target yesterday and every employee I asked looked at me like I was talking gibberish and had no clue what it was or where to find it, I know it's related to straining but does it look like cheesecloth

It's really just a small colander with wire mesh.
Sieve.jpg

Latest posts

Back