Candle Shortcuts (not a good thing)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBandCW

Reaction score
At my shows I always have folks asking why the candle they bought at a store doesn't smell after awhile. In our research we have learned that some manufactures only add fo to the wax at the top of the candle to save $$. I explain to them that fo is the most expensive part of the candle. I also have a burned to the nub candle for them to smell where you can still smell the scent and to show them how their candle should look after a proper burn.

I think some of the imported commercially-sold candles are made really poorly.

Since I make my own, I don't buy them, but several years ago there were block style, multi-wick candles on a close-out sale for 50-cents or something like that, so I picked up a couple, figuring I'd reuse the wax for chunk candles or something for personal use. When I cut it open, it wasn't a poured candle at all -- it was a block of wax that had been over-dipped. The problem is that people who don't know any better don't always understand why hand-poured candles cost so much more!

Back