Regarding the use of Sport Card Boxes for Long Term Storage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapSap

Reaction score
I finally purchased a supply of Sport Card Boxes to store my soap as so many of you use these. This really solves a big problem I was having. Now my soap is uniformly and neatly packed for storage.

I would like to know if there are any other tips I should know. I am thinking about using my box cutter to add some ventilation holes on one side and the top of the boxes. Does anyone else do that, or is it not really something that is necessary? Should I line the boxes with anything? I don't know if over time the brown interior of the box will affect my soap colors.

Where is a good place to store the boxed soap? I know to avoid the basement because it may be too damp. Currently I store in the open in a spare bedroom but I would like to put them in the closet but I am not sure how much ventilation they need. The closet in the summer may be hot.

Your input will be appreciated.

I don't use boxes but I do store my soap in the closet and I've never had any issues with them. No DOS even on the bars that are 2 years old.
Some people store them under the bed in the boxes, this is something I would like to do but my dogs would get in the soap.

SoapSap, would you mind sharing the cost? I think I looked into buying some, but either they were expensive/cheap shipping or cheap/expensive shipping (unless you made a pretty big order.)

Why the boxes again? I remember long ago reading about using them for holding in fragrance but that the conclusion as to if it worked was debateable? Mine have been in wire pull out racks last few years for air flow and quicker dry out but curious again with the boxes for fleeting fragrance soaps.
I just worry about condensation and such.

Last edited:
I store my soap in baseball card boxes after they have been fully cured and wrapped. I transport them to craft fairs in these boxes, too, unloading them once I'm there. In between, they sit stacked on wire shelves in my craft room, labeled on one end, so I'll know what I've got. They may be in the boxes for months, but usually not longer than that, because hopefully they've sold. Cardboard is not air tight, so evaporation can still take place. That being said, it's always good to store your soap in as cool and dry a place as possible, and of course out of direct sunlight. Cardboard is not dyed, so there is no transfer of color from the cardboard to the soap, or in my case, the wrappers. HTH

I was interested in them b/c I live in a 1 BR with limited space and wanted something that I could put a bunch of soaps into and stack efficiently, ie; the most space saving option after cure. I have a five foot curing rack (tall but not that wide), but it is filling up, would like to have some place to move the cured ones too afterwards.

SoapSap, would you mind sharing the cost? I think I looked into buying some, but either they were expensive/cheap shipping or cheap/expensive shipping (unless you made a pretty big order.)

I am happy to share this information. I ordered on line from: Columbia Hobby Supply (columbiasportscard.com). I ordered lot of 50 (800 count) boxes and paid 53 cents per box. I thought that was a fantastic price compared to all the other places I found. I paid no shipping and no tax. I could not find a better deal even on Amazon. Locally, at sport card shops the lowest price I found for the same box was $1.75 each. I hope this formation helps.

I use the storage boxes, too. They make the storage of my soapies so much more neat and efficient.

Also- they are quite sturdy and can be re-used over and over and over.

I don't cut any holes in mine- they don't need them. As Navigator said, they are not air-tight and will allow evaporation just fine.

Why the boxes again? I remember long ago reading about using them for holding in fragrance but that the conclusion as to if it worked was debateable?

I'm not sure if the ability/non-ability of the boxes to hold scent was the intent of the OP's inquiry (at least that's not how I took the question, although I may be out of the loop- it wouldn't be the first time, lol), but for what it's worth, the boxes haven't caused any of my normally strong scents to fade or get sucked out or anything like that, and by the other side of the same token, they haven't turned any of my faders into stickers. I've found that faders will fade and stickers will stick in spite of where they are stored.

IrishLass :)

Just a little FYI in case it helps anyone else who labels the ends of their boxes....I put a piece of clear packing tape over the end of my boxes, then I print out Avery sticky labels with the name of the soap on them, and stick it to the packing tape. Then, if I ever need to change them, they come off fairly easily, and don't tear the cardboard end of the box. I'm all about making them last forever. And if anyone is questioning the fragrance of one soap getting onto the cardboard and transferring to another soap, I've done a lot of switching and can't say that I've ever noticed a problem.

Great tip Navigator! I'm going to put that into practice!

Also- I just wanted to add that I have the same experience as Navigator mentioned: I, too, haven't experienced any fragrance crossover when reusing my box for a different scent. :thumbup:

IrishLass :)

Navigator I was just curious about that possibility. I know some use boxes to hold the fragrance better or use a cotton ball with scent in there and claim it works.. but others have said it doesn't work well. Since we were on the subject of boxes I thought anyone who checked in here might be able to give experience. :)
I have 26 open stacked wire baskets that I use so totally open to air and if the boxes work well to hold scent I might have moved a few over to them.. like my citrus EO I do a lot.

I'm reading up on some long term storage options, especially for long cure soaps like castile.

I have a couple of questions on this, so I hope I'm forgiven for resurrecting a slightly old thread.

I shrink wrap my soap, does it matter if they're boxed before/after wrapping?

In my travels I've learned that soap cures best when it has lots of air circulation, but putting it in a box seems the opposite of this. Is it just that you don't pack the boxes tight so there's enough room for them to dry out?

Do you still diligently turn them with the same frequency? Less often?

>> I shrink wrap my soap, does it matter if they're boxed before/after wrapping?

Either is fine, in my experience. If I don't have time to shrink wrap my soaps, I'll store them in a box naked. :) And I also store them in a box after wrapping.

>> In my travels I've learned that soap cures best when it has lots of air circulation...

I first allow my soaps to cure a minimum of 4 weeks in an open tray with an old lint-free cotton towel over the top to keep out dust and light. They only get wrapped and/or boxed after that. I will pack them reasonably tightly into a box to save space -- I don't intentionally leave room for air circulation. By the time they end up in the box, they don't seem to need any special care.

>> Do you still diligently turn them with the same frequency? Less often?

I don't mess with them at all -- they will stay in the box without any attention from me until I need them or whatever.

This is just my minimum fuss method -- I'm sure there are as many ways of storing soap as there are soapers!

I'm with Dee and shunt on this one. I box mine after they're fully cured, wrapped in tissue with a cigar band label over that. No turning, since they're already cured. I pack the boxes full, and have had no problems.

Last edited:
Back