Citric Acid in Shaving Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all

Yes, another shaving soap thread! It's just been too long since one got going...............

I know that citric acid can help to fight the effects of hard water, used at 1% of oil weight and with 6g of extra lye for each 10g of citric acid.

Now, shaving soaps can often benefit from the addition of the old EDTA stuff, but I am thinking that a splash of citric acid might well do the trick instead.

So, fellow shave soap fiends - what do we think of this idea?

I do have 1 more pot of 100gram test oils waiting to be used, just need to mix the lye. I was going to use this to test a different glycerin amount, but I think I may be testing the citric acid in there instead.

Which is another question - is the ratio of lye to citric acid different when using KOH? I couldn't find it on soap calc.....

Conversion:
1.4 g KOH : 1 g NaOH

6g of extra NaOH for each 10g of citric acid
8.4g of extra KOH for each 10g of citric acid (6 * 1.4 = 8.4)

A gentle word of caution: Be careful with the generic word "lye". It can mean KOH or NaOH or both depending on context. Far better to give the specific name in situations like this one.

I was also thinking of using citric acid in my next shaving soap batch, please let us know what you think. I do like it in regular bath soap, helps quite a bit with hard water and soap scum.

I've never tried citric acid but I have been meaning to try it some day... here's some info from a yahoogroups forum saved years ago. Pretty interesting, I think I'll try it next week as I have hard water. Lemon soap, made with fresh lemons, does the same thing, although imperfectly since fresh lemons vary in citric acid and water content. Otherwise, in soft water it raises your superfatting level.

> When added to cp soap the citric acid in the juice reacts with lye to
> form a kind chelating agent which ties up the metal ions in hard
> water. This boosts the lather and is said to keep down the formation
> of "ring around the tub."

Lemon juice, or citric acid, reacts with lye to make the tri-sodium salt of citric acid, which behaves as a chelator (attracts and ties up hard water minerals like calcium).
So adding either to your soap makes it more superfatted, and better behaved in hard water.

If you're using pure citric acid, you can calculate the precise amount of NaOH it will use, so you still have a good idea of the superfatting level... but acid levels in fresh juice vary, so the superfat is more of a guessing thing.

One of the best natural additives for handcrafted soap for performing better in hard water is sodium citrate. Sodium citrate is natural and it acts as a chelating agent for binding the metal ions in hard water, thus, allow for better lathering soaps and a reduction of soap scum in the tub.

Use from 0.1 to 0.5% citric acid as a chelating agent. Use the least amount of citric acid needed to combat your hard water problems.

Start at the 0.1 to 0.2% levels and work up from there. High amounts can also interfere with suds formation.

And add 0.571 oz of lye extra per 1 oz of citric acid.

Citric acid dissolves fairly easily, I set aside a little of the water and dissolve it in that, then add it just after the lye water to the oils.

Since some people do add the lye directly to lemon juice (carefully!!), you could probably also dissolve the citric in your full water before adding the lye to it. I just prefer to add to the full batch rather then directly to the lye.
Mary Anne

(Filed 2/24/2003)

>Why would >anyone want to add citric acid to a normal handcrafted soap???
> It seems to me that "acid" isn't probably the best thing to add to alkali when
>trying to have the alkali react with the oils and saponify.
>Why would somebody add acid which will counter the akali's function and inhibit
>a portion that should be there reacting with the oils in the recipe?

Because of the end product that citric acid + NaOH creates.

Oils + NaOH makes the sodium salt of the fatty acids (soap) PLUS citric acid + NaOH makes the tri-sodium salt of citric acid. This is a different compound, no longer an acid, but the trisodium salt of citric acid, a chelator, so when you use soap containing this compound in hard water, it literally helps tie up the hard water minerals which cause soap scum. In other words, soap containing this citric acid compound gives you better lather and less soap scum in hard water.

You get the same effect if you add lemon juice to soap, its citric acid makes the salt, and gives the same chelating effect.... except that with lemon juice you don't know how much you're adding, so it is harder to compensate for the lye used up by the juice. When adding pure citric, by weight, you can compensate exactly for the citric used, and know what your final superfatting level is.

Some people with hard water improve their soaps sudsing abilities by adding borax,.... citric does a better job, much less is required, (0.1-0.5% the lower end preferred) and its not on the health canada hotlist for controlled substances in cosmetics, as borax is.
Julie

The side effect of adding the citric acid is beneficial as far as it is able to get the PH down and soaps will not be as harsh.

Commercial baby soap has the PH of the eyeball, extremely mild, achieved thru Citric Acid and other things. This is why Natural Soap will burn far more than soap bought at stores. The other fact is that citric acid does cut down on the Scum that forms.

As for Lactic Acid I have my formula down where the Soap looks and feels like Milled soap and gives lots of moisture and Bubbles. Yet I am not so convinced of the product. I have had time when gelling the soap that it will get too hot (suspect the Sugar Part of Sodium Laurate) and it gets Brittle and smells funny almost burned. Again I think Sugar. That is the reason I asked if anyone is using SL. I myself would like to just experience Tallow soap and see if I can not get the same feel without the Volatility that SL has presented.

Won't hurt to try a small batch anyway! :)

"Trisodium salt of citric acid" = sodium citrate

Sodium citrate can be found in one or more of three versions -- trisodium, disodium, and monosodium citrate. The trisodium version is the one we very likely are making when mixing citric acid with a strong solution of NaOH to make soap. Since we aren't in a position to actually know precisely how much mono-, di-, and tri- we've created, however, using just the generic name "sodium citrate" is fine.

And I too am curious to know the source of the quote, please? I would like to read the rest of the discussion in this thread.

Last edited:
Hmmm. My only thought here is that the pKA of sodium citrate is about 6.1, with the base + citric acid acting like a mild buffer system. In a lotion or water-based product, this is good - and you can then confidently watch the correct preservative. But in soap, you don't need that. If you were doing something where you really wanted the pH to be neutral, you could also add a bit of dibasic sodium phosphate to hit that 'no-more tears' pH of 7-7.4. Sure, it's not 'phosphate-free' then, but the tiny amounts we are talking about is nothing like a detergent soap. Regardless, if your math is correct (and the 0.57-ish level was close to my eyeballed ~0.56 I did in my head) and you didn;t use any other acid components in the soap, most of the citrate should be in the trisodium citrate form, ready to bind up that pesky calcium and magnesium (because they have better association constants).

Sagehill- can I ask where that quote is from?
Unfortunately, I don't have a link since this discussion came from emails on a YahooGroups soaping forum, back in 2003. YahooGroup emails came in digests, so I usually condensed interesting discussions into relevant topics, like "Citric Acid in CP", then deleted the digest.

Worse, I was on a number of soaping and toiletry forums and didn't mark which forum discussions came from, so I can't look it up in YahooGroups; in any case, I'd have to rejoin that forum to see it, even if I knew which one it was. I've since learned to save links or source at the top of saved info, but I wasn't as internet savvy as I am now.

Being a serious infomanic, I've saved thousands of discussions and snippets in my email filing cabinet since 1999. My biggest terror is that my hard drive will crash, since I'm lackadaisical about backing up. lol

Whenever I'm bored or when someone comes up with a question like this one, I cruise through my files to refresh my memory and rediscover ideas I thought worthy of saving years ago. Ask me anything... over 15 years I've surely have saved something on it. lol

Unfortunately, this tends to make me sound like a major know-it-all when I'm really only sharing info I've saved. :)

Jennyhttp://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

That happens, Jenny. What you've shared is helpful enough. I've sometimes lost the info about my sources too. Very annoying, especially when I want to go back and check on a point I'm not sure about and I cannot for the life of me remember where the info came from.

Latest posts

Back